Hi. Id like some advice re:instructional books...

BATCAT

• Moderators

I have a Barnes and Noble cerificate for my birthday and one of the things I want to get is another instructional book on drumming.

I'd like to know your favorites. I have stick control and another that is titled something like "Progressive Independence" but instead of more "meat-and-potatos" books I was thinking I'd get something more fun, something with a CD and lot of "play-along"-type excercizes.

I guess I'm more or less intermediate level, but as I'm mostly self-taught I don't mind more basic books (I've even worked through some of those "play drums for the first time" ones just for fun) as I'm more interested in working on my timing and basics than fancy stuff.

Ideas?

• Members

I don't know if they sell them there or not, but I have the first copy of the "Turn it up and Lay it Down" CD from Rhythm Tech. Now they've got 3 different versions. It's just a compliation of different bass tracks representing different styles with no drums (that's your job). Anyway, kind of a fun practice tool. If they don't have it, they can probably order it. I'd check B&N's online store to see if they have it (you can probably cash in the gift certificate online and do the deal right now).

• Members

Another idea, beyond the book idea. I won a similar gift certificate a couple years ago (it might have been Amazon.com) and instead of ordering a book, I bought a concert video of the Police live so that I could watch Stewart Copeland in his prime.

• Members

Actionsquid... I'm not sure if B&N stocks these or can order them but here it goes.

For Play-along, any of these Dave Weckl books. They come with Cd's. You will be working on these for a long time.

1- Dave Weckl Contemporary Drummer + one

2- Dave Weckl Ultimate Play-along Level 1

3- Dave Weckl Ultimate Play-along Level 2

4- Dave Weckl In-Session Play-along

If you want video or books go here and look under Instructional

http://64.246.176.199/wecklHome/wecklHome.php?sw=1024&sh=768

Clamboy.... try A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer

http://musicbooksplus.com/product_info.php/products_id/3477

Hope this helps.:)

• Members

midwest percussion has a fair amount of book, dvd's, etc. in there catalog. imagine there online as well.

other the peart's work in progress, and stick control, i don't have any other stuff. peart's is probably more for fans and advanced players. so don't have anything that i can brag on, first hand.

have heard people brag on virgil donati's power drumming, 40 minute speed and endurance workout.

a book i've been wanting to look at or try, (guess it's a book) is i beleave astinatos?? or something like that, supposed to help with limb independance.

• Members

Originally posted by Jerbear1098

Actionsquid... I'm not sure if B&N stocks these or can order them but here it goes.

For Play-along, any of these Dave Weckl books. They come with Cd's. You will be working on these for a long time.

1- Dave Weckl Contemporary Drummer + one

2- Dave Weckl Ultimate Play-along Level 1

3- Dave Weckl Ultimate Play-along Level 2

4- Dave Weckl In-Session Play-along

If you want video or books go here and look under Instructional

http://64.246.176.199/wecklHome/wecklHome.php?sw=1024&sh=768

Clamboy.... try A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer

http://musicbooksplus.com/product_info.php/products_id/3477

Hope this helps.
:)

Thanks mang!

• Members

I suggest "Advance Techniques for the Modern Drumer" by Jim Chapin. Vol.1

Ok, the title Is not so modern as the book was first edited In Nov.1948. That makes 61 re-editions till 2004. It comes with 2 CD

Archived