Sabian cymbal packs (ProSonix/AAX/HHX)?

Lysakoski

• Members

I'm currently using a mishmash of cymbals (Istanbul, Zildjian etc) but I'm not particularly happy with any of them. Also, most notably, a lot of them are quite thin and simply don't cut through when playing live (I'm a rock drummer).

I've been checking out some reputable cymbal packs, and it seems Sabian have a decent range of mid-level cymbals for not much moolah. I'm looking for thick-sounding rich cymbals that aren't too brittle-sounding, and can project well. Anyone care to inform me of their own experiences with any of the following ranges of Sabian cymbals?

AA Medium

AA Rock

Pro Sonix

AAX Stage

HHX Evolution

HHX Stage

(N.B. All have 14" hats, 16" crash and 20" ride)

Or would you suggest something different entirely? Obviously I'd love to hand-pick individual cymbals from top-end makers, but alas I am not rich enough for that. :)

Thanks!

• Members

I wouldn't try thicker cymbals, I would try bigger cymbals if you want them louder. If you get a chance, try out some cymbals. Compare the difference between an 18 or 20 inch crash and a 16 inch crash.

If money is a problem, buy one good cymbal instead of three cheaper ones.

• Members

I'd recommend:

AAX Stage

HHX Stage

AAX cymbals are versatile, kinda bright and crisp but full sounding. They are very unoffensive. HHX are bit more exotic sounding, kinda like the Instabuls. I'm not very familiar with the Evolutions. The Paragons are nice but pricey. Bright and cutting. I'm not a big fan of the AA series.

But we can suggest stuff all day but what it boils down to is you trying them out for yourself. We can tell you what we like but we can't tell you what you'd like. Cymbals are really weird and it seems like everyone has the ideal sound in their head. Cymbals are tricky instruments to pick out and you might not like anything Sabian has to offer.

• Members

Originally posted by Lysakoski

I've been checking out some reputable cymbal packs, and it seems Sabian have a decent range of mid-level cymbals for not much moolah. I'm looking for thick-sounding rich cymbals that aren't too brittle-sounding, and can project well. Anyone care to inform me of their own experiences with any of the following ranges of Sabian cymbals?

Sabian Pro/Pro Sonix line is pretty good if you're shopping for mid-level cymbals. I use them and they cut pretty well through.

• Members

Cool, thanks guys. I was kinda interested to see if anyone said to avoid one particular type of cymbal, but it seems like they are all decent enough. I'm thinking AAX Stage at the moment since I've played them before and they were nice and cutting, but we shall see. Time to go forth and spend 12 hours hitting things in a drum shop! :)

Archived