Favorite Hardware?

kenm

• Members

Hey All,

Well, I stripped a screw on my snare stand last night with a gig in two days. I have all Ludwig double braced light duty hardware. I guess this a good time to start replacing this stuff. I've never really been happy with it, but I bought it when I bought a Ludwig kit. Anyway, I want to replace it with DW hardware, the 5300 stand to be exact. Is DW the best hardware? Opinions? Should I go with Gibralter instead?

Thanks!

Be well,

Ken

• Members

It's all good. DW, Gibraltar, Tama, Yamaha...Just look at the stands and determine which brands features interest you most.

I have a 25 year old Tama single braced snare stand that hasn't failed me once...and I'm using an 8" deep snare.

• Members

Personally, I'm a fan of Yamaha, but I have some Pearl and Tama hardware too. I'm not a big fan of Gibralter stuff. My old drummer used that stuff and only one stand is still alive from those days and it's barely holding together.

Overall though, I agree with gcdrummer. There are little nuances about every stand that might make you prefer one over the other.

• Members

Originally posted by gcdrummer

It's all good. DW, Gibraltar, Tama, Yamaha...Just look at the stands and determine which brands features interest you most.

I have a 25 year old Tama single braced snare stand that hasn't failed me once...and I'm using an 8" deep snare.

Tama's old single braced stuff was awesome. All the features of their double braced stuff, just lighter. I still have a couple of those cymbal stands lying around, and they work fine.

• Members

I like Tama. Ive got Tama and Pearl and the Tama stuff is better than the Pearl IMO the little black "cymbal mates" are the best invention ever haha.

I use a Gibraltar rack, they are very similar in design to Tama but its hard to get a Tama rack over here and they also cos a LOT more.

• Members

Originally posted by tangman

...the little black "cymbal mates" are the best invention ever haha.

I use a Gibraltar rack, they are very similar in design to Tama but its hard to get a Tama rack over here and they also cos a LOT more.

The Tama cymbal nuts are the bomb. That's enough right there to use Tama. I use a Gibraltar rack with Tama cymbal and tom mounts. To me that's the best there is. I'm going to get a custom kit built and I'm going to use the Tama Starcast mounting system on the new toms.

• Members

You might look at Taye hardware as well. My wife bought me a couple of Taye cymbal stands recently and they are now my favorite stands. They have some pretty interesting design features like this omni-ball sort of thing where the cymbal sits instead of the usual two pieces that have teeth that fit together, and they're very tough.

• Members

You should look into vintage ludwig atlas hardware- it's awesome. Not really though, It would be a terrible waste of money at this point. Furthermore, I'm not really sure why I'm posting here at 2 in the morning. Damn! I'm tired.

• Members

I like the DW 9000 stands because they don't use the teeth in the tilter so you can get it anywhere inbetween. Its pretty expensive though like over 100 for a stand. I like Tama's stands too. They are a bit cheaper too. I keep my ride on one and my rack tom and cymbal on another.

• Members

I have had real bad luck with Gibralter, I used to use all their stuff a few years back and I dented real easy. You could never put a muli-clamp on anything because it crushed it. The Rack I had from them was good, but not the booms or stands.

Now that I use Peace drums I use all Peace hardware, man this stuff is really durable!!! It's real thick, almost to the point that you can't clamp anything on it because it's too big. I don't know if that's good or bad, but man this stuff can take a beating! Try the Arena 800 Series.

• Members

From what I've seen, pretty much all of the major manufacturers make really solid hardware now. Right now I'm using a mix of Pearl and DW hardware, all of which is less than 5 years old and performs wonderfully. I'd recommend anything made by Pearl, DW, and Tama.

• Members

Originally posted by masonni

I have had real bad luck with Gibralter, I used to use all their stuff a few years back and I dented real easy. You could never put a muli-clamp on anything because it crushed it.

Yep. All of my drummer's Gibralter hardware looked like the back of Aunt Emma's thighs. Not pretty.

• Members

I have had good luck with Gilbraltar hardware. They make at least three different weights of stands including heavy weight double braced stands as well as light single braced stuff. You just have to pick the appropriate line for the job.

• Members

Originally posted by rca

I have had good luck with Gilbraltar hardware. They make at least three different weights of stands including heavy weight double braced stands as well as light single braced stuff. You just have to pick the appropriate line for the job.

I had the real heavy stuff from them. it was so bad that by the time I ditched it all you could no longer open or close the legs because the screw that kept it in place dented the large base pipe.

• Members

I had the real heavy stuff from them. it was so bad that by the time I ditched it all you could no longer open or close the legs because the screw that kept it in place dented the large base pipe.

Same here.

I still have one stand by them. A big honkin double-brace one with the boom counterweight that I use for my China. I have it setup so really the only things I adjust are to open/close the legs and then to set the angle of the actually cymbal mount part (I fold it down so it fits in my hardware bag.)

Everything else is completely collapsed so nothing else can slip/move. If I raise it at all, it just ends up slipping and/or spinning. Also, even if just lightly finger tighten the cymbal mount portion, when I go to undo it, it's like hercules tightened the damn thing.

I won't even get into the gibralter DB pedals my drummer had.

• Members

That is something I didn't want to picture....

I heard a good term for such thigh dentage: "hail damage". It can be used thusly: "Yeah, she was pretty hot looking until I saw her at the beach in a bikini....talk about hail damage...."

Seemed appropraite. Feel free to spread it around. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by gcdrummer

The opposite of 'hail damage' is 'butter face'. You might hear it used like this...

"Everything looked good butter face."

yeah, I saw footage of Howard Stern's Miss Butterface Competition. Pretty funny stuff.

• Members

Anybody familiar with Axis hardware, snare stand and cymbal stands in particular? I have Axis A2 double bass drum pedals and one of their hi-hats, both of which I'm very pleased with, and I'm thinking about replacing some of my stands.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

I heard a good term for such thigh dentage: "hail damage". It can be used thusly: "Yeah, she was pretty hot looking until I saw her at the beach in a bikini....talk about hail damage...."

Seemed appropraite. Feel free to spread it around.
;)

We call it "cottage cheese thighs".

• Members

I'm a big Tama user - my first "real kit" was a Tama Swingstar when I was eleven. Now, at 29, I'm still a fan (though I'm playing Yamaha drums ... go figure). Their hardware has let me down from time to time and it's always been the same problem. The threading on the various adjustments lets go. And it's always the female side that ends up getting pulled out of the tap.

I was recently reminded of this when a cymbal arm that was about 10 years old died at a gig - can't really be upset ... it's a decade old. Though, I have seen it happen a few times. {censored} just gets tired. Probably happens to all manufacturers.

Something to keep in mind.

Archived