tips for "drying" up my ride sound

b0dah

• Members

i have a vintage zildjian 20" ride that i am pretty pleased with. I have tried various methods of taping the ride to take away some of the washiness of it.

does anyone have any tips on muting, or drying out my ride sound?

• Members

You can't really dry out a cymbal. If you don't want it to ring as much, that's different. However, if you do something so it doesn't ring as much, it will kill the tone of the cymbal. Smaller sticks, 7a's, and wood tips is about it. If you 'beat up' the tip of a wood tiped stick so it's not as hard, that would help too.

• Members

I think a couple months back someone asked that to Modern drummer magazine.

They suggested one of the best ways is to put strips of duct or gaffers tape a couple inches from the edge.

Also was reading about burrying the cymbals in the ground. I guess that can speed up the oxidation process making it a little more dry. Don't really know. I have never tried it.

• Members

May I ask how you got the cymbal? I mean, if it's a vintage Zildjian it must be pretty good quality so it probably sounds very nice as is. So if you bought it, then you must've liked the sound at that time. So why dampen it?

When I had the Sabian B8 cymbals that were recommended to me when I got my first kit, I put tape on them after a while because I realized they did not sound like good cymbals should. But when I started buying cymbals that I liked, I never did anything to them because I liked the way they sounded which was why I bought 'em in the first place.

Now then...if it was a gift, perhaps you can trade it in at a local drum shop for another used cymbal that suits your taste.

I just feel like a quality cymbal should be allowed ring to its fullest capabilities allowing the drummer to get the most possible expression from it.

• Members

It is really surprising how much the sound will change in different rooms and when you change sticks. Different kinds of wood, different weights, different tips all make a difference. Some cymbals are just going to be drier than others. Try playing on the thickest part of the cymbal, usually close to the bell.

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

May I ask how you got the cymbal? I mean, if it's a vintage Zildjian it must be pretty good quality so it probably sounds very nice as is.

i sort of "inherited" it

i can't tell exactly which model zildjian it is, as all the paint has disappeared. same with the vintage new beat hats i got with the ride. any ideas as to what these are worth?

i also must admit that i like the sound of both the hats and the ride more recorded/miced, as opposed to how i hear them behind the kit.

i've always had a problem evaluating the sound of various cymbals, simply because i know how different they can sound in those situations. any advice there?

• Members

Originally posted by b0dah

i sort of "inherited" it

i can't tell exactly which model zildjian it is, as all the paint has disappeared. same with the vintage new beat hats i got with the ride. any ideas as to what these are worth?

i also must admit that i like the sound of both the hats and the ride more recorded/miced, as opposed to how i hear them behind the kit.

i've always had a problem evaluating the sound of various cymbals, simply because i know how different they can sound in those situations. any advice there?

Vintage new beats? How are we defining "vintage"? If they're from the 70's or 80's, I'd call them "old". If they're from the 90's, then they'd be "used". If they're from the 60's or earlier you MIGHT be able get away with calling them "vintage".

As for the sound issue...sounds like you might just have the wrong cymbal for the job. Before you assume that, however, try to listen to the cymbal (and the kit) from a distance with the whole band playing (you'll need a spare drummer or reeaaally long arms). From the audience perspective, it might sound really good. Loud music and amps have a way of drying things out nautrally.

Archived