drum patterns for students

jimpatper

• Members

What instruments are the drum students going to play the patterns on?

For instance, just snare drum (or a pad) or on a drumset (or equivilent set of pads).

I assume that you are not referring to hand drums.

The classic method book is Stick Control by Geo. Stone. Another is Syncopation by Tedd Reed. While they are written without notation for a complete drumset, teachers use these same patterns for teaching drumset. There are many ways to vary the patterns. Each teacher probably has their favorite variations.

I consider a style book to be different than a method book. A style book shows patterns for different styles of music, like songo, tango, slow blues, half time shuffle, rock, fusion, and jazz. that is usually something used by intermediate to advanced students. Method books are more general in application. Alot of them are based on the drum rudiments.

Some of the introductory drumset books and CDs have patterns for beginners. They may refer to them as "rock" patterns, but they are so simple at that stage that they could be used for any kind of 4/4 music with a backbeat.

Perhaps someone else can point you to some websites. (I don't have access to my favorites list right now).

Archived