Preventing keyholing, specifically in hi-hats

dehughes

• Members

Hello all,

I just purchased a NICE set of used Zildjian K hats, and want to know how best to prevent keyholing. I know of the plastic thingys for crash and ride stands, but is there something similar for the top hi hat cymbal?

Thanks,

david

• Members

I might be way off here, but I've never heard of keyholing with hats. I am under the impression that keyholing only happens when cymbals on set at an angle and after extended periods of time, the metal poles wear into the cymbal at the point of the most stress. Since high hats are usually set flat, they should not keyhole. But yeah, anything that prevents metal-to-metal contact should reduce keyholing. I use the gibraltar plastic pole top things for all cymbals.

• Members

I have been trying different things to prevent the metal to metal contact on my hats. So far I have not had much luck. I don't understand why the manufatureres don't include a hard plastic piece similar to a regular cymbal arm.

I have noticed that the hole in my top hat is getting larger. There has to be something available for this...anyone?

Will one of these 8MM sleeves work?

http://www.buy-safe.net/1-800-NEW-DRUM/www.drummaker.com/FMPro?-token=13224263&-db=DM_Products.fp5&-format=jumpbrowse.htm&-view

• Members

I've seen some hi-hats that exhibit some keyholing, and while I don't know how well they were treated I still don't want to risk damaging mine due to a cheap clutch, etc... Just asking, as it seems like there could be a plastic sleeve or somethign to slide over the threaded part of the clutch.

david

• Members

I suppose if you're really worried, you could wrap the metal with some heavy duct tape or electrical tape, and then check it from time to time. Either that or find some appropriately sized plastic/aquarium tubing at the hardware store and buy an inch or two.

• Members

This is a rare issue- mate you would have to have the set up for 5 years solid, without moving it and play it every day for those years for this wear, unless you use really cheap stuff!

Dont worry- or get a Roland td8 like me, I dont have this prob!

Tisk, tisk, me thinks you are worried bout nothing!

It wont happen- chill out have a whiskey and remember how hard metal is!:cry:

Archived