adding drums using computer

gguy86

• Members

Hey is there a way to add drums to a guitar track using a computer program. I played the guiatrs using a click track and I need to get my drum ideas down. Something easy to use, non complicated. Also the drums I have in mind are pretty detailed so something that can achieve that rather than a simple beat.

• Members

What you're looking for is a drum sequencer.

I use Fruity Loops which, I don't think is a sequencer per se, but can be used as such and I think the interface is pretty intuitive.

I've been using the program for a long time, and there are only three things I will recommend to you:

1. Get good acoustic samples - I hired a studio drummer and booked time at a local studio to sample hits on a huge kit. Get lots of samples too. There are of course sample libraries you can purchase if you don't mind not having full control over your samples.

2. Get a sequencer that allows for MIDI input (Fruity Loops has this) and get a keyboard controller. It allows you to work faster.

3. Set the sequencer to 32nd or 64th notes. This will allow you to make more realistic feeling loops as you can make hits slightly off the beat, as well as make more realistic fills, flams, etc.

Fruity loops allows you to export to WAV, MP3, etc, and you can import that into whatever program you use to record guitar. I believe the latest version of Fruity Loops allows you to record directly in the program, but I have not used it.

There are lots of other programs that do the same thing, but I have not used any others.

Archived