Obscure Add-ons

Rimshot500

• Members

LOL..yes, that's the one!!! Not sure I've mastered the art of 'copying an' pasting' yet...or including links in the forum here....I think I mistakingly posted the entire thread, earlier.....see *Obscure Add-Ons'

but my curiosity is getting the best of me......and, it's these type things, that my band expects from me.....the way they feel, if I'm not 'doing' it, I should at least be saying it!!!..LOL

i just hafta know what it sounds like....and i'm sure, I'll be experimenting with the different size blade, and types, etc....plywood blade...ripping blades...crosscut blades.....then, there's the smooth blade, the one used for cutting ceramic tiles...like a 'flat' cymbal!?!?....

well..lemme get back to the packers and eagles game!!!

• Members

Used the metal screen from a 10" oscillating fan as a special effect instead of a china on a few older recordings.

Used a 7 or 8" tin that once held christmas cookies as a timbale-like device (just the container, no lid).

Years ago, I used a friend's red hardshell suitcase that was about 1/3 filled with G.I. Joes for a snare on some recordings.

• Members

Nothing weird anymore, but my two favorite add-ons I ever used were a brake drum from an Oldsmobile, and at once point, I had the aluminum top of one of the huge circular halogen lights that were in my high school gymnasium. It was about 30" across and sounded like a garbage can lid with sustain and a little more clarity. All in all, it was pretty cool, and I mounted it inverted so I could play the inside of wail on the rim. It was surprisingly durable! Not sure why I got rid of it... :eek:

Archived