rode nt 3 for overheads???

modernscape

• Members

I just bought a audix dp5a mic kit, for my new set of gretsch renown maples its a 5 piece, I have the snare mic, 2 tom mics, 1 floor tom mic and the D6 for the kick. I own a bunch of sm57s and 1 Rode nt 3, and 1 Rode nt 4. would I need 2 rodes for overheads?would these two do the job? what do I need for highhats and ride? these are going to be played live at our church which is in a 1500 seat highschool gym???? Im using 14inch mastersound hats and a 16 and 18 a custom crashes and a 20 K custom ride. This is my first go round with mics. Can I subsitute my sm57s in the mix? or do I still need to buy some crap?? thanks

• Members

You have a Rode NT 4? Isn't that the dual X/Y Stereo mic?

If so, I wouldn't think twice about givng it a go and using it as a lone overhead, positioned above and behind you as per the manual here:

http://www.rode.com.au/downloads/NT4_InstMan.pdf

Overheads should be pretty much all you'll need for cymbals -- esp. considering the size of the room.

Does your church have a sound tech? Talk to him -- or whoever is running your board. You'll need to supply phantom power for most condensers usually from a mixer or snake. [edited: I forgot that the NT also can use a battery!]

Nice kit, the Gretsch's are, btw. I played one a few years ago and loved the sound. Very warm and mellow.

So to recap:

1 Snare (i-5)

2 Rack Toms (D-2)

1 Floor Tom (D-4)

1 Bass Drum (D-6)

Overhead:

1 Rode NT 4

-bruce

• Members

Well, you could certainly put the NT 3 on the Hat, but that might be overkill.

If you've got someone handling sound for you, then that's something I'd test during a soundcheck.

Your rides and crashes should be fine with just the NT 4.

-bruce

Archived