Best Drum company ?

comecon_186

• Members

Originally posted by comecon_186

Who makes the best drums ? Im looking around for a new kit and i don't know what to check out. No price range, Im just looking for best sounding.

That's a question for which you will get dozens of different answers from different people. You need to just go out and try different kits and find the one that you like the best. There are kits from the major manufacturers (Mapex:thu: , Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, etc.), then there are also custom drum builders, like Conaway:thu: , MRP, Pork Pie, etc. You're more likely to be able to "test drive" drums from the major manufacturers since your local music store will actually have these in stock and on hand. I play Mapex and they sound incredible and their customer service after the sell is second to none, but you may find that you prefer Pearls or Tama or one of the others. Just try before you buy and don't take mine or anyone elses word as to what's best for you, because only you can decide that.

Edit: However, if I were currently in the market for a new kit and money was no object (I'm all giddy just thinking about it) I would be looking at some DW kits. There again though, to each his own. There is no definitive answer to your question.

• Members

Originally posted by comecon_186

Who makes the best drums ? Im looking around for a new kit and i don't know what to check out. No price range, Im just looking for best sounding.

the best "mass known" makers are DW.

i own yamaha maple customs that are amazing.

but i'd check out peace, and pork pie

• Members

i recently had the chance to try out the new pearl refrence kit. It was truly amazing. I tried a DW custom set and the refrence side by side and the pearl blew the dw away. IMO . I love deep tone and the kick had more punch than anything ive heard. i strongly suggest going and trying one i know there expensive but the design and sound you get is worth every penny. Just my $0.02 .

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Maybe Keller?

These days, as far as mass produced kits are concerned, I like Tama...they have a good variety of shell materials available (especially now with the new bubinga and acrilyc kits), cover the full range from entry-level kits to the extreme high end (their Exotix kits are pretty amazing if that's your thing) and personally I like their lug style. Really, the quality of most of the kits out there is good enough that it really comes down to the little things (for example, I like DW's finishes but really dislike those lugs).

-Duardo

• Members

I played on the same kit for 10 years. I got it from the drummer in my brother's band. He had gotten it used, and probably played it for at least 7 or 8 years. It wasn't high-end to begin with. The point is, I just had to make it sound good. There was no other choice. Now I play on a Sonor 2005 (hardly the choicest of kits) and just that upgrade alone has shown me immeasurable new joys of drumming. Let's hope we never find the truly 'perfect' kit, lest we lose that character that each different instrument can bestow.

Now turn to page 843 for our third psalm... :D

• Members

that's a vry opinionated question you'll recieve a crap load of different opinions, as said before "there is no best" it's what you want. go to music stores ask to play different sets it's your set not ours so you get to decide on the sound u like best. bring another drummer with to play it while your somewhere else in the building listening. then you go play it. see what you like.

ANYWAYS..........

..............if i had to give an opinion my vote would be mostly for GRETSCH and then for pearl.

L8TR,

~sparmann~

• Members

Originally posted by Lil Drummr Boi

Hey I think im going to buy Gretsch MCE825PT Catalina Maple 6 piece for $700.....are Gretsch decent drums though??

?? i never hear about them like i hear about tama pearl etc.

I know theve been around forever...but are they worth buying?

cue essential noize...

Archived