vents anyone?

drmrdude

• Members

Sooo uhh I was bored today and saw my old wooden pacific snare in the corner of my basement. I got out the ol drill and the 2 1/4" hole maker thinger and measured a spot and drilled away. Nice cut, pretty clean, a little piece of the inside got chipped away. Very tiny piece. I then sanded, and whipped the shell down. Popped the heads and whammy, the best snare sound I ever imagined... well not really. It still rung like crazy even with an Emperor X and some knock off promark moon gel. I ate dinner then busted out the drill again. This time I drilled through till the i got about halfway. Then went from the inside and made a nice clean beautiful cut. I sanded and retuned the drum. It sounds a lot a lot a lot better than before. The ring is controllable and it cuts pretty well. Im going to get a CS Dot and a new Snare Side head and some new Puresound Snares. Overall Im surprised and very satisfied with the result. It was alot easier than I thought and it looks fine cosmetically. Anyone else ever done this before? Did you have some nice results when you did?

• Members

Make sure that you get some sort of finish to seal the end-grain inside the vent hole. Maybe some tung oil.

If you don't seal it, over the life of the drum, the end grain will swell and shrink more than the rest of the drum and eventually the drum will go out-of-round.

Kind of like a door that doesn't have all six sides painted (sealed). As the seasons change the door will change shape because the end-grain sucks up the environmental changes. If you have a door that only opens smoothly during some seasons, you may consider sealing it with some sort of paint or lacquer whenever it is in its opening smoothly stage. Same with the drum. If it isn't finished properly, during some seasons, the heads will fit perfectly and during other seasons, the heads won't fit right.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived