help with consistancy....

lugsquad

• Members

I'm at the intermediate level, in a band w/gigs etc. I usually keep a good solid meter -but once in a while I notice that I'll tense up,.. especially when performing with peers and more experienced drummers watching. My drum instructor thinks I will overcome this with mastering my stick control and rudiments,.. I think it's more a pschological thing though,.. any input or tips from y'all on this?

• Members

Originally posted by lugsquad

,.. I think it's more a pschological thing though,..

I think you're right. I'll throw out some random ideas that may or may not apply....

You are probably a better drummer than you think you are.

The other drummers, even if they are more experienced than you, had to go through your level of ability in order to get where they are. You are already more experienced than many others.

I use to find that concentrating on my meter or complicated passages tended to make things worse, so try relaxing and getting into the music.

There is ALWAYS going to be someone around who plays better than you, no matter how good you get. The better drummers will appreciate what you bring to the music. They are musicians, after all.

Don't be a self-concious drummer... Be a musician.

• Members

I do remember those days!!

Here is a good idea and I think it will work for you. Ask the other drummers that are at a higher skill level to help you over come your timing issues. Once you get them involved it takes the pressure off knowing that they want to help you. I had gone through this growing up and I always held back and never asked. I found out later in life that 95% of musicians were willing to help me.

There are alot of great drummers out and about so get used to seeing people better at the art then you. That doesnt mean they dont want to help you.

• Members

Thanks for the tips,... Kingnome I totally relate to what your saying with this.......

"I use to find that concentrating on my meter or complicated passages tended to make things worse"

Not being a self conscious drummer is prob the key,... it's amazing that I haven't yet dropped a stick when playing live,.. because I'm so cautious about not doing it,.. but of course gripping my sticks tighter doesn't allow me to play in my relaxed normal manner & optimal fluidity.

Asking input from the other drummers is also something I can see as a solution,... it would break the ice and any need for ego issues,... I think I need to learn more how to differentiate between my need for feeling confident vs the display of ego my bandmates often throw around,.. and which in fact makes me uncomfortable. Thanks Blastem

• Members

Originally posted by lugsquad

I'm at the intermediate level, in a band w/gigs etc. I usually keep a good solid meter -but once in a while I notice that I'll tense up,.. especially when performing with peers and more experienced drummers watching. My drum instructor thinks I will overcome this with mastering my stick control and rudiments,.. I think it's more a pschological thing though,.. any input or tips from y'all on this?

Time will fix this problem. Just sounds like you need to play more live shows. It's only natural to be self conscious in front of other musicians but remember that while you are playing, it's YOUR stage, so try to enjoy it. Practice playing slightly ahead, behind, and right on the tempo with a metronome. to learn control and avoid speeding up, because nothing takes the 'feel' out of a tune quicker than speeding the tempo. Being aware that your meter might be suspect is a good thing, make sure that you record your playing as frequently as possible, try to record your gigs and don't beat yourself up too much.....

• Members

I record drummers all the time. I would say the best bet would be to practice with a click track. Don't sweat it though. Some of the best drummers I know screw up timing in the studio when recording. Tension has a lot to do with it too. Try picking up drinking alcohol.......... I'm kidding guys, just kidding LOL

-Dave:thu:

Archived