Mahogany

kenm

• Members

Hi All,

I've been thinking about getting a Mahogany kit for a while now. I've played a Grestch Catalina and really liked the way it recorded. Keller makes shells, but custom drums are too expensive for me now, so I am considering buying a cheaper kit and refinishing it. I was looking at the Yamaha Rydeen kit last night. Can anyone say anything about it or Mahogany kits in general? I've already got a maple kit, so this one will be for extra flavor in the studio.

Thanks!

Ken

• Members

I really like the Gretsch catalina mahogany shells. For not being a high end kit they sound great. Nice deep and warm sound. On the kits with 30* edges they have a really nice mellow vintage sound.

Haven't played a Rydeen. someone here recently purchased 1 and seems to enjoy. I think it was " The DW". He will be the one to ask about that.

• Members

I've had the Rydeen kit for a month now, and they sound great. I"m using this kit for rehearsals or gigs where I don't want to take my DW's out. Folks are usually blown away by how nice the Rydeens sound for the price.

• Members

Actually, it may not be a good idea to try to get the wrap off. The wrap looks real nice in direct sunlight or strong spotlight. The sparkle is very fine, and it makes the wrap shimmer. In normal lighting, it looks kinda dull.

These shells are on the thin side (which probably helps them sound good), and the lugs and rims seem pretty solid. Hi hat stand, kick pedal and other hardware were actually pretty good, considering what I've seen on other sets in the price range. Hi hat spring is a little on the weak side though.

I've got the 4pc. with 18" kick. Have the stock kick heads tensioned very low (sometimes one or two of the lugs will come loose during the gig!) and it sounds fine.

The snare shocked the hell out of me. I've got the stock heads on there (coated 'ambassador' batter, hazy snare side) and one piece of duct tape and it sounds great! You wouldn't want to 'bash it' too much, but at medium and low volume, no sweat!

The kit projects well. I did an outdoor classic rock gig with no backwall. Mic'd the kick, but the rest was natural. Did the job, and I didn't have to slam on it too much.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. Can you tell?

edit: ....but I still love my DW's better!

• Members

I love Mahogany kits. DW just came out with a set of Mahogany drums called the Classic Series. I'm in love with them.

To be honest though, mahogany is not a mainstream choice and most people don't like it. I've heard them called washy, boingy, boomy, or too heavy on the overtones. Of course, that thick ringy sound is exactly why I like mahogany.

If you want to score some nice mahogany drums cheaply, I suggest looking for the Tama Superstar SuperMahogany series from the 80s. I see them on ebay from time to time for cheap, but you have to make sure that you aren't getting the birch Superstars, which are much more common.

• Members

I'm not having a problem with 'boingy' sound.

However, I did find the note that the toms resonate at (F# and C#), and have the heads tuned there. Maybe that's what is cutting down on the excessive overtones.

• Members

Thanks for all the info. I like that big resonant sound, which is why I want a mahogany kit. I'll keep an eye out for those Tamas.

Not to get too off topic, but how do you find the pitch of a tom?

Ken

• Members

With the heads off, hold the drum by the mount and tap on the shell with your finger or a mallet. (it helps to have a piano handy) You should be able to make out a pitch, though it may be hard to hear. Match the pitch on the piano, then jot down the note value. I took a Sharpie and wrote it on the insides of the toms.

When you put the heads back on, put the bottom head on first and tune it to that particular note value, then put the top head on and tune to the same value.

Gives a nice full sound!

Archived