Quick Question on Crack

Cool711

• Members

Hey there, this is a noob question, so please forgive me.

My mom bought a kit for me today (best mom in the world) despite the fact that I'm 23.

I'm a guitarist, however, the drum kit I used to use had to go elsewhere so I was kit-less (and well since I'm your typical musician) I was broke, so my mom bought it for me, and I'll paid her back.

Anyway, the place on the kickdrum that the kick pedal attaches (on the wooden ring itself) seems to be cracked.

The crack doesn't extend to the drum itself, but on the ring only.

Is this normal?

Or is the drum defective in some way?

(It was a store demo kit, so there is some very light use on it).

It doesn't seem to interfer with the sound so far as I can tell, but I just want to know if I should return it and wait, or if it is an acceptable defect (like the paint crack on a Les Paul by the neck joint).

• Members

Crack is wack, dude.

My guess would be that you can replace the hoop. But I don't know much about nuts-and-bolts hardware stuff as some of these other guys, and mostly am just chiming in so I can make a crack joke.

/w

• Members

If the crack isn't in the drum shell itself, and only on the hoop, you should be able to take the hoop back to the store, and they should be able to replace it. I wouldn't worry about the drums themselves being defective.

Archived