Motown, Soul, R&B and me...

• Members

Although this post is not as exciting as 'Drum Key Tuning' and Holiday Inn Cotton Towel' bogie, I look forward to your replys...

After a very long hitatus from playing I purchased a 7 piece kit-(penis envy) 8"-10"-12"-14" & 16" 14" snare, 22" kick and started gigging again. It didn't take long to realize that a 4 piece kit was allot easier to deal with...

I hooked up with a Motown-Soul-R&B group, which is a good thing. After a little research I found that a 12" or 13" tom and 16" floor tom seem to be what Motown artists used. Several head changes (batter & resonant) and many tuning variants, I still don't like the sound of my 12" tom for this music. However, I love the sound of my 10" tom and the 16" floor tom for this style of music.

I would think the the voicing between the 10" & 16" is too extreme (and I 'd prefer to keep the set up as a 4 piece). Is this a case of 'if it sounds good, do it' or do I need to re-think, re-tune(again) or re-select my tom(s)?

I purposely didn't name my national brand kit or the head selection, as I don't want this to be a discussion on brand(s), I've gone thru E & R brands and several types of heads. I'm seeking your advice on tom size and maybe Motown tuning 101.

BTW, for Classic Rock and pop country(modern), the drums tune/sound fine, it's the Motown-Soul-R&B sound that's throwing me...

THANKS Everyone...

• Members

Originally posted by Michael W Nelso

Is this a case of 'if it sounds good, do it'

Yes.

There is no "right" way, or "rule" to the Motown sound and what makes YOU feel comfortable behind the skins. If you're having fun, enjoy your setup and sound, that's what matters.

Please don't skimp on a no-name motel drummer towel though. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know that most of you have been starring at your monitors awaiting my follow up (LOL) so here it is...

After two gigs with the Motown group and a mellow geezer-soft rock band, and after too many head/tuning changes I purchased a set of V-drums--JUST KIDDING...

I went with the 10" (high tom) and the 16" (low tom). For my style of playing it just works!

If nothing else, I gained valuable experience with head selection and tuning...

Best,

Michael in Atlanta

• Members

Mike,

I say go for it... nothing wrong with a 10" & 16" combo. I can't say that it is a "typical" motown sound or anything... in fact, i'd say it is not typical at all.

but that don't mean it ain't cool.

i personally use a 10" & 13" set up... kick & snare. Sounds good to me. sure... you don't get that deep booming 16" sound... but a 13" tom is alot easier to control than a 16" any day of the week. i like the 10" sound better than the 12" sometimes too. one caveat... if you are micing the toms... you can eq them to get a bit more ooomph out of 'em if you want.

here is a clip of my kit... 10" & 13" toms only

http://208.39.164.132/misc/

good luck -

• Members

Personally, I love th 10" and 16" combo - it's used by my best friend, who drums for Brookfield . It's a great sound and it leads to some creative fills, as the idea of rolling down the drums isn't quite as frequent due to the tonal spacing. Anything to funk things up!

Now go get that groove! ::slap on the rump::

Archived