Can you spraypaint a drum without ruining it?

mparsons

• Members

If you're talking about regular canned spray paint, I wouldn't recommend doing it. I've heard of drums being painted using the same type of paint and painting techniques used on cars. Know any good paint and body guys?

• Members

Using spraypaint is fine if you want your drums to look like they were spraypainted.

It won't ruin the sound, but certainly may ruin the appearance.

If you know someone that does airbrushing and someone that paints cars, you can have the person that does airbrushing to show you how to apply the spraypaint and then have the car painter apply several coats of clear over that and it would work. However, you have to realize that the clear coat applied to most drums isn't for looks. It is for durability.

You have to realize that unless you have your drums in a vault of some sort, they are instruments that get used. Heads get changed, they get set-up, broken down, transported, and played. Over the life of the drum, the thick polyurethane clear coat keeps the drums looking good and protects the paint and the wood from wear and tear.

My advice is to try it. If you don't like it, buy a wrap and cover up your spraypaint sins.

• Members

Originally posted by Thingfish

My advice is to try it. If you don't like it, buy a wrap and cover up your spraypaint sins.

Not a bad idea. Odds are that dumping a case of rust-o-leum spraypaint on your kit will look crappy. Do a little research on wood refinishing before you do anything, so that at least you know how to prep them properly.

But like Thingfish said, if you botch it, get some wrap.

Just promise me that you aren't planning to spraypaint some awesomely beautiful custom kit. That would be a crime.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Not a bad idea. Odds are that dumping a case of rust-o-leum spraypaint on your kit will look crappy.

Sure it's really easy to make crappy looking drums with spray paint, but it's also possible to make some great looking drums.

I've refinished a guitar and a drumset using Rust-O-Leum spraypaint, and I'm very happy with the way both came out. You just have to realize you can't just slap on a few coats of color and get stellar results. You need to prime the drums, you need to lay down your basecoat, and then you need to lay down a LOT of clear. The clear coat is what's going to give you depth, and shine. Once you get your clear down, and let it cure for a few days, you're going to have sand it with some very high grit sandpaper (1000-2000), and then buff it with some rubbing compound.

And that's assuming you have nice, smooth, even shells. If not, you'll have a lot of prep work to do :)

• Members

Check out www.rockenwraps.com or www.precisiondrum.com for some ideas. A wrap is basically the plastic covering that's glued on over the raw shells (vs. stained or lacquered drums). My guess is that if you have a cheapy kit, it's got a wrap glued down to it.

If that's the case, get a hair dryer or a heat gun on low heat to soften up the glue, and pull the old wrap off the drum before you start painting. That way, you can get down to the wood, sand it, and get a nice surface to work with. Who knows, if the wood looks good enough, get some stain (even a colored stain) and stain 'em and then put several coats of polyerathane on 'em. Might look even better than spray paint.

Anyway, if/when they look bad when you're done, you can buy a nice looking wrap, put it back over the botched finishing job, and you'll have a kit that looks brand new.

Archived