Promo director (friend) job description?

zeberifo

• Members

Hey everyone.

Looking for some good ideas.

We have a friend willing to do whatever we need in a serious fashion but not a ridiculous amount of work (basically working for free). This friend really likes us and goes to see us very often anyway (basically begging for a job/title).

Let me know if you've had similar situations and what roles these people filled in getting your band to be more successful.

Here are a few of my ideas:

1. Run merchandise table and ensure security of merch/cash

2. General promo at any website/discussion board/guestbook as appropriate

3. Maximize email signups at shows using whatever means necessary (merchandise table will always have an email signup sheet). Full creative reign over display with cost to be covered by band (subject to financial and creative approval of band)

4. Posting of showdates at:

a. Jambase

b. Myspace

c. Online calendars, etc for local areas we will be performing in

d. Paper based publications w/ online submissions (Local newspapers, etc)

5. Authorized to scope out and investigate new venues. Contact can be made to venues only after approval from band and parameters of performance requirements are made clear. This person is very persistent!

6. Authorized recording of all shows (as permitted by venue/soundperson)and distribution (Free) at industry niche website for music download

7. Assitance w/ area flyer posting (as geographically feasible)

8. Assistance w/ printing needs (person has good connections to printers and can get good prices)

Thanks everyone - looking forward to your ideas (I also need a title for this person!)

:idea:

• Members

That's great that your friend supports your band so much! I was surprised you didn't have on your list of duties anything regarding load-in/load-out! Maybe also getting directions for venues if you need them. Printing out setlists too possibly?

If someone was willing to do any and all of your list -- give them whatever title they want, lol. Since most of the duties revolve around promotions, I would say give him an official sounding title , maybe "General Promotions Coordinator"??

• Members

It's great if your friend wants to help, and I'd let him.

But just remember that you get what you pay for, so if the guy doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't stay with it or doesn't perform consistently, don't get too upset about it.

I used to have lots of friends when I was young the first 5 or 6 years I played that wanted to help by moving gear (one guy even used the van from his parents' store), making lights, etc etc but once they 1) got girlfriends, 2) got tired of the crappy gigs in weird places (we played a boxing ring on a third floor once!) they just sort of lost interest. So, yeah, take whatever help you can get, just don't expect too much and certainly don't put yourself in a position to rely on them.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

It's great if your friend wants to help, and I'd let him.

But just remember that you get what you pay for, so if the guy doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't stay with it or doesn't perform consistently, don't get too upset about it.

This is very true. I have a person who started out saying the same things, ie. "I'll do anything I can to help." Now a year later this person rarely shows up at gigs, is unreliable on taking care of internet stuff and still keeps asking "what do you want me to do?" Sometimes having all that help can be frustrating. I have often wished I were paying this person so I could really lay down the law, so to speak. Good luck.

Archived