HELP! Pearl Eliminator Double Pedals: Kevlar vs. Chain

Palaver

• Members

Dear Forum,

I have never gigged, or played with Kevlar, but I am highly interested. I am used to my Iron Cobras chain drive and I am making a switch to the Pearl Eliminators. What is the difference between the Kevlar Strap, and the Chain? I dropped a wad, gave in, and bought a Pearl Reference kit with all new Pearl hardware and cymbals. I am absolutely itching to play this thing, and I can`t wait to record with this beast.

Now onto my question...

It seems like the Kevlar may hold up over time better than the chain, and potentially less squeaking, maintainence, grime and grease? Someone guide me in the right direction before I place my order. I can`t try the kevlar strap either as there are none in my local vicinity.

Your suggestions, and opinions are highly regarded.

Thanks,

Phil Butler

• Members

Originally posted by Palaver

Dear Forum,

I have never gigged, or played with Kevlar, but I am highly interested. I am used to my Iron Cobras chain drive and I am making a switch to the Pearl Eliminators. What is the difference between the Kevlar Strap, and the Chain? I dropped a wad, gave in, and bought a Pearl Reference kit with all new Pearl hardware and cymbals. I am absolutely itching to play this thing, and I can`t wait to record with this beast.

Now onto my question...

It seems like the Kevlar may hold up over time better than the chain, and potentially less squeaking, maintainence, grime and grease? Someone guide me in the right direction before I place my order. I can`t try the kevlar strap either as there are none in my local vicinity.

Your suggestions, and opinions are highly regarded.

Thanks,

Phil Butler

My Gibraltor pedal squeakes a little but I just oil it. I use to have a Pearl kevlar single and it served the purpose, but I think any foot pedal will squeak though.

• Members

I would find out if spare straps are available for purchase before going that route. It's highly unlikely that Kevlar will break, but you never know.

Chain can be purchased from a number of places if your drum shop doesn't have any. Bike repair shops and industrial supply houses may have the chain you need should yours break. Kevlar strap may be next to impossible to find if the drum shop doesn't have it.

Food for thought.

• Members

On the pearl eliminators, you can order extra chains or kevlar. It doesn`t matter, they are very easily interchangable which is another great feature of the pedal. I am just trying to figure out if there`s a significant difference in feel in order for me to justify sticking with chains. If they are basically the same, which I believe it will be, I am just going to go with Kevlar. I`ve seen guys use the kevlar, and I`ve known one who has used the strap for years. I am not worried about durability.

Is the feel that much different? I am hell bent about this. Help! Anyone with bad experiences? I just see the kevlar being so much cleaner than a chain.

...But... my key concern is action. If the kevlar has a {censored}ty action, obviously i am gona stick to chains. As long as it`s similar to the chain feel, I am going to go ahead and buy.

Phil

• Members

I used to play a strap pedal, but that was quite some time ago. If I remember correctly (not that easy at my age! ha ha) I didn't notice much of a difference in feel when I switched to a chain pedal.

The pedal I used before the strap pedal was a Speed King. That was a nice one!

But since you can interchange the strap and chain assembly, go for the strap...you can always change it if you don't like it.

Archived