paiste rude cymbals

Bonzo'69

• Members

Originally posted by tmetaler

im pretty sure that dave lombardo does suck on the originality factor... he was a pretty straight-foreward kinda drummer, nuttin special, specially foot-wise. just straignt runs.

Except that he was one of the first to utilize this style, which makes him original, right? Slayer are the ramones of metal. they've been unchanged for nearly 25 years, and while he may be fairly pedestrian by today's standards, it all started with bands like slayer and venom blazing a trail for people like nick barker, flo mounier, George Kollias etc who have taken it to higher levels....

• Members

Except that he was one of the first to utilize this style, which makes him original, right?

Originally posted by aqualung211

Ace of spades came out in 81'.....there was thrash drumming on there....which was waaaaay beore slayer;)

This was Aqualung's counter-example. Now, I'd say, Aqua think's there enough commonality between Ace of Spades and Slayer (or at least, the drumming) that he's gonna pull the originality credit.

We're really getting into some serious hair-splitting here. Somebody else is probably gonna say, "no, dude, I think they're way different."

one guy's opinion won't sway me.

That's really appropriate, I think. The most I would expect you'd take away would be that the next time you're talking about this with people in person, you'll say, "Some people thing Lombardo was NOT the leader of the pack... I disagree, for the following reasons." Come off sounding really smart. :):thu:

/willy

• Members

Originally posted by pjb

Except that he was one of the first to utilize this style, which makes him original, right? Slayer are the ramones of metal. they've been unchanged for nearly 25 years, and while he may be fairly pedestrian by today's standards, it all started with bands like slayer and venom blazing a trail for people like nick barker, flo mounier, George Kollias etc who have taken it to higher levels....

i wasn't saying slayer and motorhead are similar......but you were trying the tired ass argument of "they did it first". no, lombardo did not do it first if you wanna get technical......Philthy taylor did it first (think thats his name). just listen to the actual song Ace of Spades....it all right there.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by pjb

hmmm... i wouldnt let that fall on slayer alone.... there are many other bands out there at the time that were utilizing that style... and i wouldnt call them unchanged at all- listen to show no mercy, then listen to reign in blood, then listen to god hates us all- PLENTY of change there. and i wouldnt call it blazing the trail either, considering it was more the guitarists that were new and inventive- no one back then abused a floyd rose like king or hannamen... the drums were just simple, fast, timekeepers, he really had no other option of what to play since the tempo was so fast!

• Members

paul bostaph played on god hates us all so.....scratch that one

thx.. fergot about that one... but yhea... they have a new album, "Christ Illusion" set to come out Aug. 8th, and Lombardo is gonna be on that. cant wait to hear it... who in here's a slayer fan?

• Members

i wasn't saying slayer and motorhead are similar......but you were trying the tired ass argument of "they did it first". no, lombardo did not do it first if you wanna get technical......Philthy taylor did it first (think thats his name). just listen to the actual song Ace of Spades....it all right there.
:thu:

As far as 'thrash' drumming goes, Motorhead themselves would not call themselves that. They are rockn'roll. I don't think Philthy was a double bass player in the same vein as Lombardo. He didn't play fast double bass 16ths until 'overkill' in 1979 as I recall. I didn't say they were THE first either, I said ONE OF THE FIRST. read the post before you run your mouth.

When I think 'thrash', I think 80's era Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, exodus, Kreator, sodom and bands of their ilk. Slayer started around '81 or '82, and the ace of spades album was released in 1980, so I think you are splitting hairs. That album, by the way, is so far removed from thrash it's ridiculous. Apart from the title track, it's nearly all medium paced. Check your facts.

• Members

ROFL!!! LMFAO!!!!!! holy {censored} thats funny! i wouldnt call Philthy a thrash drummer by any means, but if he was one of the first to utilize that technique, then he was ONE of the many people who made it popular! i dont think he came up with it all on his own, maybe he heard some local band's drummer doing it and sed "hey, thats sick! im going to put that in one of our songs!" but it doesnt matter how he figured it out- just that he was one of the many who popularized it (was that even a word??)!

• Members

it does seem as if aqualung has a superiority complex... i would be (respectfully) interested in witnessing his actual skill level, seeing as he is most definately humble when referring to accomplished and famous musicians... links, websites, etc. aqualung?? :confused:

• Members

i never claim to better than any of these people.....i just enjoy how his {censored}in groupies take it up the pooper when lombardo isnt thought of to be god......slayer fans either seem to be total gaytard groupie fanboys or neo-nazi skinheads

• Members

slayer fans either seem to be total gaytard groupie fanboys or neo-nazi skinheads

umm.. not all the time... for the most part..... :rolleyes: sadly, yes, they are... and then there's the person who's just into them cuz they fuckin rock! but im not gettin like a boner over fuckin lombardo! god no! but, you gotta give him a little more respect man, i mean, he's in fuckin SLAYER- the most popular thrash metal band fuckin EVER!! obviously he did something right. and if ur all "lombardo sucks" then people think ur all "compared to me" and shit. he does fall short when compared to other drummers of the genre, such as Jurgen Reil of Kreator!:thu:

• Members

I think lombardo rocks. Always tried emulating him as a kid. I find what he' done to be influential.

Anyways on the Paiste RUDE question.

Stuart Copeland used RUDES in the 80's with the police.

They can be extremely versatile and work in other genres other than metal.

I personally own RUDEs and Formula 602's.

I also have a custom bosphorus on order to be weighted like a RUDE.

Good cymbal by a innovative manufacture

• 2 months later...

Archived