On micing drums:

mparsons

• Members

Originally posted by tmetaler

allz i kno is that its {censored}in BIG!! im looking at it right now... (note: i am EXTREMELY tech retarded when it comes to mic-ing, mixers, guitars, etc... anything but good ol' fashioned acoustic sound!) we hav 2 15" and 2 18" yamaha speakers, a yamaha mg16/6fx mixer, a furman merit series power conditioner, a peavy b11 31-band graphic equalizer, a dbx 223xl crossover, and a qsc audio 1850hd poweramp (im sry mat... i opened the rack up- but i didnt touch anything- i swear! plz dont kill me!! and correct me if im wrong about anything...) yhea.. i have absolutely no {censored}in clue what the hell all this does
:o
... but im pretty sure it can handle a lot! we'll be having vocals, keys, and me goin thru it! im thinkin right now (my guitarist persuaded me... damn him and his logical poins:mad:!!) a beta 52 kick (saw one on ebay for $30-40) an sm57, and a pair of cheap-ass nady cm 88 or cm 90 cardioid condensers (they're like $80 for the set, and they got decent reviews on musician's friend) for my overheads (positioned on either side of my set) soo yhea... does this sound like a good plan or not?? i am REALLY strapped for cash- and this is an emergency- like, everyone's drowning me out! we're a metal band, and, of course, we will be louder than the average alternative band, but this is not good- i should be heard too!
:thu:

the beta52 is a good mic, as is the sm57. so, no problems there.

the cheapo condensors sound tolerable for recording. however they may or may not work for playing live in small rooms.

i haven't been able to keep my cheapo overheads from feeding back, playing loud in small rooms.

• Members

yhea... i think ima hafter wait on the overheads... the kick and snare will suffice- ill just use one of our other vocal mics and mebbe borrow someone elses with some stands... we'll prolly be providing the PA at gigs, so...

• Members

That system you've got sounds pretty good, yamaha club series speakers I assume, those are pretty good. Nice PA!

So, since you're a metal drummer I'd strongly reccomend an Audix D6 over anything, mine was like $150 new, but it's a fantastic kick mic that I strongly reccomend.

Go for the SM57 for the snare, it's the standard.

For overheads DON'T GET CHEAPO MICS!!! You'll just end up kicking yourself later. Get something like a pair of MXL 993's, they're decent. But you'd be good enough just micing the snare and kick.

But for the D6 and the SM57 you'll be spending like $250 just for those and then another $50 for cables, so you're just better off getting the shure drum mic kit for a few more bucks. I use these mics and they're really good, you can use one of the tom mics for the snare, one to cover both rack toms, and one for the floor tom until you can get an SM57 for the snare.

You really really don't want to get cheap mics first, just save up for decent mics.

When I run sound in a small bar gig or little show for a few people, I'll usually only mic the snare and kick, sometimes not even the snare. If you tune your snare right it'll project great on it's own, but the kick always needs help, espescially if you tune low and don't have a hole in your reso head.

• Members

TMetaler- Also please get a compressor. You'll find that'll help your sound a lot too.

But yeah, thats the rack we got. It's nice ( remind me to bring my RCA cables and my MP3 player, we'll listen to music through it. THAT is fun :D ).

Thanks for the recommendations Mogwix.

By the way my logical points to convince him that he needed decent mics was holding the Shure SM58 I have for vocals up to his bass drum and telling him that the CADs would sound MUCH worse and that the nice mics would sound much better. :thu:

• Members

Here's the problem with overheads in the hands of beginning soundguys: by the time you turn up the gain high enough to pick up a decent signal from the kit, you're ALSO going to pick up everything else on stage, and eventually have feedback issues. This is especially true in smaller rooms and smaller stages.

I think starting off with a good kick mic and a good snare mic and learning how to get good sound out of those is a great first step. With a little mic position experimentation, you can even position the snare mic to pick up the hi-hats.

Anyway, you got a nice system there. You didn't mention anything about monitors (how do you hear the band when you play out?). You also mention that you'll have vocals, keys and drums going through it. You've got enough of a system there to run EVERYTHING through it (guitar and bass too). That way you can turn the guitar and bass amps DOWN on stage, give everyone their own monitor mix (gotta get monitors), and still give the guy running sound control over the mix.

Sorry...getting off of the drumming topic here....gotta go back over to the live sound board. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Here's the problem with overheads in the hands of beginning soundguys: by the time you turn up the gain high enough to pick up a decent signal from the kit, you're ALSO going to pick up everything else on stage, and eventually have feedback issues. This is especially true in smaller rooms and smaller stages.

I think starting off with a good kick mic and a good snare mic and learning how to get good sound out of those is a great first step. With a little mic position experimentation, you can even position the snare mic to pick up the hi-hats.

Anyway, you got a nice system there. You didn't mention anything about monitors (how do you hear the band when you play out?). You also mention that you'll have vocals, keys and drums going through it. You've got enough of a system there to run EVERYTHING through it (guitar and bass too). That way you can turn the guitar and bass amps DOWN on stage, give everyone their own monitor mix (gotta get monitors), and still give the guy running sound control over the mix.

Sorry...getting off of the drumming topic here....gotta go back over to the live sound board.
;)

+1:thu:

I have to add though, in the hands of an experienced sound man an the right pair of condencer overheads with a phase switch on them so you can make them more directional instead of omni-directional, you will get that great sound your looking for!

• Members

Originally posted by headway

+1:thu:

I have to add though,
in the hands of an experienced sound man an the right pair of condencer overheads with a phase switch on them so you can make them more directional instead of omni-directional
, you will get that great sound your looking for!

You're absolutely right. However, if you look at what I highlighted in your quote, I count at least 3 pretty big assumptions that have to be fulfilled in order to make it happen.

Come to think of it, in most cases where you have the right equipment being run by people who are good at their jobs, the outcome is quite often better than crappy equipment in the hands of incompetents....hell, I've got plenty examples of the latter that I've created that I can show you! ;)

• Members

You're absolutely right. However, if you look at what I highlighted in your quote, I count at least 3 pretty big assumptions that have to be fulfilled in order to make it happen.

Come to think of it, in most cases where you have the right equipment being run by people who are good at their jobs, the outcome is quite often better than crappy equipment in the hands of incompetents....hell, I've got plenty examples of the latter that I've created that I can show you!
;)

I just (assumed) he wanted to know what we use to get the best sound out of our drums.

• Members

:D

Our eventual plan ( once our guitarist gets a DI box or a mic or something to get his guitar into the PA ) is to have everything run through the PA and use our instrument amps as monitors. Everyone else is getting their own monitors, probably active so we don't have to get another rack/power amp etc. Thats all in the future and may change of course.

Then again we might want to turn EVERYTHING up! This is metal after all!

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

:D

Our eventual plan ( once our guitarist gets a DI box or a mic or something to get his guitar into the PA ) is to have everything run through the PA and use our instrument amps as monitors. Everyone else is getting their own monitors, probably active so we don't have to get another rack/power amp etc. Thats all in the future and may change of course.

how do you hear your vocal?

• Members

Originally posted by FitchFY

Random note: Matt McDonough (sp?) from Mudvayne had each of his cymbals individually mic'd on the latest Mudvayne album, "Lost and Found." Great CD to listen to as a drummer!

Studio micing and live micing are two entirely different things.

• Members

True, for the most part, unless you're playing a huge room, a snare, kick and tom mics are plenty. The cymbals will be heard by the audience if they're not too far away from the stage.

• Members

Originally posted by FitchFY

Random note: Matt McDonough (sp?) from Mudvayne had each of his cymbals individually mic'd on the latest Mudvayne album, "Lost and Found." Great CD to listen to as a drummer!

totally! mudvayne is my guilty pleasure, and matt mcdonough is a grossly underrated drummer!:thu:

Originally posted by headway

how do you hear your vocal?

answer: we DONT!!! now we have a PA, we can eq things better, and i think everyone will have to TURN DOWN so's that vocals can actually cut through fully, and i can be heard a bit better (with, of course, the help of the mics)

Originally posted by mparsons

howabout NO!!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Mogwix

Get something like a pair of
993's, they're decent.

i had seen these... i think ill go with them instead of the cm 88's...

Originally posted by Mogwix

If you tune your snare right it'll project great on it's own, but the kick always needs help, espescially if you tune low and don't have a hole in your reso head.

i tune my snare high! and its a steel snare too! and my kick cuts through a little better cuz i got a danmar metal click pad on it!

• Members

My band doesn't need to hear vocals. Vocals are the last 'instrument' considered and are usually tacked on and follow everything else.

All cues are either drum, keyboard, or guitar. Sometimes bass. And we can hear all that fine.

Archived