Wanted: Drumkit

Metalhead_drum1

• Members

Are you looking for buying advice, or just someone with a kit to sell? If it's the former, we've got plenty, but what we usually come down to is that you need to get to the drum shop and try 'em out to find the kit you really like.

If it's the latter, good luck to you. You should also be aware (if you're not already) of the Harmony Central Classifieds.

Ah... I just went to get the link to paste in, and noticed you had posted there, as well.

:thu:

/willyl

• Members

You already have cymbals. We were just talking about this in another thread: Drumset/Cymbal packages are almost universally starter outfits. Don't buy 'em together if you've all ready got the cymbals you need.

What's your budget look like?

/willy

• Members

Originally posted by Metalhead_drum1

Just sold my kit because I want to upgrade. Been playing for 3 years and want a decent kit like Tama, DW pearl or something along those lines. With or without cymbals because I already have like a dozen. I need a kit ASAP.
or pm.

Not to give you the old 20/20 hindsight thing, but why would you sell your kit before you had a pretty fair idea of what you'd be getting to replace it? I know if it were me, I'd be afraid that I'd sell my old kit for a few hundred bucks, not have anything lined up immediately, and then start dipping into the money I made from the sale. After a short time, I'd be left with NO MONEY and NO KIT, whereas if I didn't sell the old one first, I'd at least still have something to play!

Anyway, good luck on your search. Obviously the best "bang for your buck" will come by finding a good used kit, but with the geography involved, it might be a problem. Maybe if you plan a vacation someplace you can drive, and you go to a more populated area, you might be able to search for a kit THERE and drive it home to save the shipping costs.

• Members

I agree that it may be best in the long run to take a drive to a larger city and do some shopping there. But since it would take forever to get from PEI to a metro city or at least a place with a large drum store, you may want to schedule a quick vacation to another city via airplane. That way you can play them first and then ship them home.

But I guess I'm confused. How do you expect to get a high level kit for $1000? Even a decent set of used 4-piece DW shells will be more than that. I have a rack setup and would love to upgrade my Pearl Export to a set of DW's for $1000 since all I would need would be the shells.

• Members

I had a sweet kit lined up to buy the day after I sold my kit and It was on hold with a down payment on me and the music store screwed me and sold it even though it was held with a downpayment, now I'm left with no kit and a butload of cymbals.

That blows. Sorry to hear about that.

One other thing you might want to try is to build a kit. There are plenty of custom guys out there who sell keller shells, and they'll even cut the bearing edges and drill lug holes for you. You MIGHT be able to find place that'll send you "ready to finish" shells that fit into your budget. Then it's just a matter of a little work to get a great kit. If you have the patience to finish them (careful sanding, careful application of stain, repeat..;) ) then you might end up with a great kit. If they shipped the shells to you, they could nest the whole thing together, so you're only looking at 1 box.

Just an idea.

• Members

I had a sweet kit lined up to buy the day after I sold my kit and It was on hold with a down payment on me and the music store screwed me and sold it even though it was held with a downpayment, now I'm left with no kit and a butload of cymbals.

I would think that if they did that to you, you should be able to go to them and work out a deal where you could get any kit you wanted for cost plus shipping. In bussiness when you hear something good you might tell a couple people, but when you hear something bad you're gonna' tell everyone. you might want to remind them of that!

• Members

I told the store I'm never dealing through them again. They said somewhere the hold must not have been put into the computer yet they had the sold sign on the kit.

Make sure you find out if they screwed up or if they screwed you.

Everybody makes mistakes.

In your remote location, a music shop probably can't afford to lose a customer willing to drop $1K on one purchase.

And as a musician, unless they really set out to do you wrong (entirely possible, btw) It'll be a big pain in the ass to eliminate them as a place to get what you need.

If they're willing to make it up to you, you may be able to develop a good working relationship with the folks at the shop. (A kit at cost+shipping is probably too much to ask.) A good relationship at your local music store is the next best thing to a commercial endorsement.

If not, {censored} 'em. they'll fail soon enough and you'll be laughing.

Act like a professional and an adult. It can only help your situation.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

Make sure you find out if they screwed
up
or if they screwed
you.

Everybody makes mistakes.

In your remote location, a music shop probably can't afford to lose a customer willing to drop $1K on one purchase.

And as a musician, unless they really set out to do you wrong (entirely possible, btw) It'll be a big pain in the ass to eliminate them as a place to get what you need.

If they're willing to make it up to you, you may be able to develop a good working relationship with the folks at the shop. (A kit at cost+shipping is probably too much to ask.)
A good relationship at your local music store is the next best thing to a commercial endorsement.

If not, {censored} 'em. they'll fail soon enough and you'll be laughing.

Act like a professional and an adult. It can only help your situation.

The same can be said of other major purchases. Often, when you try to save a few bucks you wind up with crappy or no service at all, whereas spending an extra $100 to support your local guy can help you significantly if/when things go wrong.

Case in point: I ride a bike to keep my girlish figure. I always go back to the same shop where I bought the bike for service. They know me, and I trust them. I probably could have gotten a better price elsewhere ($50 or so on the bike I bought) but I liked the way these guys did business. Anyway, long story short, I've got a good relationship with these guys. This past weekend, I went on this 80 mile charity ride, and from mile 10 to about mile 65, my front wheel is making this grinding sound...very annoying. I assume that the wheel is shot, despite the fact that the grinding stopped toward the end of the ride. Today I took it into the shop, and one of the wrenches spends about 15 minutes taking the thing apart, looking at the bearings, and even said, "hell, while it's open, I might as well throw some extra grease in there." After all is said and done, the wheel is fine, and I basically scored free service out of the deal in the process. I ask the guy what I owe him, and he says, "no charge, good luck with it."

BTW, this isn't an isolated example. One of my riding buddies went in, and needed a new shifter, and the guy told him that his old(broken) one was still under warranty, but that it would take a few weeks to get the replacement. Rather than having the guy sidelined while he waited, the guy went into the back room and pulled out a "loaner" shifter, put it on the guys bike...no cost...so that he could continue to ride until his replacement came back.

I'll probably buy a new bike next year, and will probably spend close to $2k on it. Although I don't know what kind of bike I'm getting yet, I know exactly where I'll be buying it.

In all of my major gear-intensive "hobbies"...drumming, riding bikes, golf, skiing...I've learned that getting the lowest price isn't always the same as getting the best deal. Sometimes it pays to spend a few extra bucks up front buying from the right place because you KNOW that you'll get good service at other times.

Of course on P.E.I. you might not have many choices. Still, if the you let them try to make good on their mistake, you might end up with a solid relationship rather than just a "transaction".

Archived