Guys, help me out here....

Dyzio

• Members

I've recently noticed, through the past week, that I have NO time at all to seriously practice the drums, and its really starting to affect my playing. Heres my situation:

Monday-Friday:

1. 8:05-2:50-school

2. 3:00-5:00/30-cross country practice

3. 6:00-7:00- shower, eat dinner, talk to family

4. 7:30-9:30/10:00-homework

So as you see, by the time homework's done, I'm wasted for the day. And I have no time to practice. The only time I really have to practice is on the weekends, but I'm not always free on them. So I was wondering, is there anyway I would be able to practice the drums enough to play well, without drastically changing my schedule?:confused: Thanks in advance guys

• Members

Originally posted by Dyzio

Monday-Friday:

1. 8:05-2:50-school

2. 3:00-5:00/30-cross country practice

3. 6:00-7:00- shower, eat dinner, talk to family

4. 7:30-9:30/10:00-homework

This is the strangest thread I've ever seen.

For one, I notice you're doing sports. That's a problem. Shouldn't be doing sports. Next... dude... talking to your family? What's that about? Also, drummers don't need to shower... we're expected to smell bad. It's part of the mystique. Finally... Homework? You've got to be kidding!

Kidding aside, this is still a pretty strange thread. I mean... If you want to practice, you're going to have to make time for it. It's that simple. It's a question of prioritization. You might not be able to do all the stuff that you want to do in the time you have available.

So I was wondering, is there anyway I would be able to practice the drums enough to play well, without drastically changing my schedule?

Probably not. Sorry.

For what it's worth, I get up at 5:30am every day, and I get an hour of practice between 6:30am and 7:30. Maybe you need some silencers for your instrument and you can do the same?

/w

• Members

Get rid of your family. Stop doing your homework. Dont bathe.

And forget the damn cross country. What do you have to practice running for?? Isnt that why bikes and cars were invented? So we wouldnt have to RUN anymore????

Seriously. Your up {censored}s creek. Give something up. preferably all that DAMN RUNNING!!

:D :D

• Members

yeah....sports kinda go against the principle of music, ive found that jocks and soces dont mix well with music, thats why little john is rich:(

and cant you talk to your family while you eat? that could save you some time.

who needs a family anyways, they make you feel all those icky emotions:confused:

• Members

Get practice pads both for your sticking and for your kick pedal(s).

That way you can practice outside of normal hours.

Other than that you need to make decisions about what's really important. Is being a really good drummer important. Or is it more important to run long and fast?

• Members

What's going on during the weekend that keeps you from getting in several hours of practice time? If it's gigs, then no problem. You're getting 'practice time' on your drums during the gig. Same with rehearsals. (I'm not advocating that you noodle around between songs, just saying that playing your kit during gigs and rehearsals will keep you 'lubed')

If you're having to do track meets during the weekend, then you'll just have to put the drums on the back burner until the season is over.

The good thing is, once you can get back to your drums on a regular basis, the 'rust' will go away fairly quickly. It's not like you're gonna have to start from square one again.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

talking to your family? What's that about?

/w

What I mean by talking to my family is that asking them how their day was, whats happening, etc. And yeah, Aqualung, I do talk to them when I'm eating dinner.

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

What's going on during the weekend that keeps you from getting in several hours of practice time? If it's gigs, then no problem. You're getting 'practice time' on your drums during the gig. Same with rehearsals. (I'm not advocating that you noodle around between songs, just saying that playing your kit during gigs and rehearsals will keep you 'lubed')

If you're having to do track meets during the weekend, then you'll just have to put the drums on the back burner until the season is over.

The good thing is, once you can get back to your drums on a regular basis, the 'rust' will go away fairly quickly. It's not like you're gonna have to start from square one again.

Good luck!

Yeah, the main thing that keeps me off the drums is the meets on Saturday. The second thing is homework. ( I go to a Catholic high school, so homework there is a constant struggle for everybody there.) I'd kind of look stupid quitting the team right in the middle of a season, so I guess I'll keep drums, unfortunately off till the end of the season. Thanks for all the help, guys.

• Members

as mentioned above, get the rubber silencers to put on your drums. this really does allow you to practice at any hour.

try to fit in a little time in the mornings.

do you have any music classes at school?

what about some sort of "independant study" type of a thing you could set-up as an elective?

carry sticks with you always.

start tapping, with a stick, whenever you're sitting around. like while watching tv, or talking to your family. for example, i've been tapping triplets with various accents with my left hand only. if i'm sitting around watching tv, or talking to someone (on the phone or in person), or stuck in a hotel, i just start tap tap tapin' away on my leg.

good luck.

• Members

There are some solutions here.

1.) Combine eating and showering. If you spill, the soap is right there. Avoid mashed potatoes or anything with melted butter. And vinegar. Vinegar is freaking gross.

2.) Get your family to start cross-country running with you. By natural selection, the weak ones will be weeded out by fatigue and you'll be left with the ones worthy of your loving.

3.) Do homework in class. Steal all of the teachers books and be prepared a day ahead for each lesson. This can be combined later on with the family members you didn't lose while running, as they should be pressured to do the homework for you, allowing you to cut down on time for both.

4.) Sleep only 4 hours a day and drink copious amounts of coffee.

5.) This should leave plenty of waking time for drumming.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by FitchFY

There are some solutions here.

1.) Combine eating and showering. If you spill, the soap is right there. Avoid mashed potatoes or anything with melted butter. And vinegar. Vinegar is freaking gross.

2.) Get your family to start cross-country running with you. By natural selection, the weak ones will be weeded out by fatigue and you'll be left with the ones worthy of your loving.

3.) Do homework in class. Steal all of the teachers books and be prepared a day ahead for each lesson. This can be combined later on with the family members you didn't lose while running, as they should be pressured to do the homework for you, allowing you to cut down on time for both.

4.) Sleep only 4 hours a day and drink copious amounts of coffee.

5.) This should leave plenty of waking time for drumming.

:thu:

+1

Archived