Mapex Saturn Review.

JBrig

• Members

Ok, I got the laser ivory studio set up today. I was playing the Gretsch Catalina maple. The Saturns are 4 ply maple and 2 inner plies of walnut. My review so far is as follows: I was blown away by the color! Just awsomel! The overall workmanship of the drum is excellent. I love the mounting system, it is fixed under the lug casing. It does not come off when you change heads.

I immediately put Evans G-2 heads on and got them in place. I will try Evans hydraulics, I like a wetter fat sound.

Anyway, I am most impressed with the floor toms and kick drum. I can now say you loose nothing in way of tone or "growl" by going with hanging toms. They are thunderous! Much more than my Gretsch floor toms. The Kick is amazing. It sounds so full and warm. I can't imagine the 24 inch. I use a super kick2 head. The tom mout is removable with no holes in the bass drum for a virgin look, very cool.

The 12 and 14 sound great but I will try different heads and tuning to make them sound better. My Gretsch 12 and 14 sounded as good, and thats not a bad thing. I know the Saturns have a much larger range.

I tried alot of kits before choosing these and I saved alot of cash and got an awsome kit. And the color! It changes shades with every movment. The sparkle is amzing, you have to see it in person.

Overall, I am very impressed with the quality, craftsmanship and sound of the Saturns. they are what everyone who knows told me they would be. They would appear and sound to be much more expensive.

• Members

Congrats on the kit. Saturns are sweet. I have 1 with the 24" kick. Huge sounding.

AS for heads. Try a coated 2 ply head before going to hydros. I use the evans g2 coated on mine. I just haven't been pleased with the sound of clear heads on the kit.

The hydros sound good behind the kit, but kill the tone of the drum. sounds dead 5 feet away. Just my opinion though.

I really love the tuning range on the Saturns. So wide.

• Members

Originally posted by RockBass

I hope I didn't really offend you. Truth be told, I enjoy talking {censored} with you. Plus, since I now own a Sonor kit too, we've got a bond or something.

we have no bond at all. i wish death and suffering upon you.

you have officially made a "list" that the devil and myself (were old pals) check every five years.

expect a visit some time between now and March.;)

Archived