i gotsa plan!!

aqualung211

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

That hunk of oak is going to take one mutha of a lathe to turn. Takes a large motor to turn a piece of wood that large. Also takes a lathe that's large enough to handle a finished piece that's going to have a an outside diameter of 14". So it's not something that Joe Woodworker is going to have in his garage. You'd have to have someone do it for you.

whatever, i'll make a 10"x3":thu:

• Members

Originally posted by scarecrowbob

Once again, your optimism and attitude is cool but your knowledge of the world around you is gonna leave you dissapointed.

Look at any drum shell-- the grain goes around the drum, not from head to head.

I guarantee that with a lot of effort you could make a drum-like thing, maybe even something that looks like a drum.

But you're never gonna get something to play from that material in that way.

Of course, I'm thinkin' you're putting people on; surely you can't be serious.

I beg to differ. Several outfits make drums out of logs that were turned on lathes. They are quite unique.

Stave drums are made with the grain running vertically on the shell, from one head to the other. It's what gives the stave drum it's unique sound. Congas are made the same way.

Sonor makes their ply shells cross laminated, so that one ply has the grain running horizontally, and the next ply has the grain running vertically.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

• Members

I beg to differ. Several outfits make drums out of logs that were turned on lathes. They are quite unique.

Stave drums are made with the grain running vertically on the shell, from one head to the other. It's what gives the stave drum it's unique sound. Congas are made the same way.

Sonor makes their ply shells cross laminated, so that one ply has the grain running horizontally, and the next ply has the grain running vertically.

Well, I stand corrected.

But it's one thing to try and do it because it is cool. That'll work.

It is another thing to do it to be cheap, and it's that design goal that I think isn't gonna happen. After reading over everythin, I think that I might have overestimated that as a motivation for making a drum... but if you are going to get someone to do the work for you, why not go ahead and get it done by a pro?

If the idea is to somehow get something on the cheap, then it's not gonna happen:

The canopus zelkova is available direct from the company, in 6.5x13 (tested), 5x14 and 6.5x14 sizes. the drum costs (brace yourself) $1,490.00. the price is the same regardless of the size.

Custom milling of any log with my patent machine and method of process (patent # 7,069,632) from 10" diameter to 56" diameter and up to 34" deep. A kerf of only 3/8" of wood is lost between shells!Prices range from $100 to $42,000

Black Walnut Snare Drum 4 3/4" x 14" $ 875

OK, now I'm going to be brutally honest. Remember that this drum goes, I believe, in the vicinity of $1,000.00 - correct me if I'm wrong.

So, yeah, by all means give it a go. But it is a tough design to implement, I think. And the design goals are a little self contradictory to begin with.

But it sounds like a neato project, a little like me going out to paint a copy of the sistine chapel on the ceiling of my living room with a little case of those Prang watercolors (I just like the word Prang, eh...)

• Members

There was a guy in another forum, who just happened to have a lathe large enough in his garage to turn a hunk of wood like this. He did just what aqua wanted to do on a whim, and made a very nice snare. Hell, he ended up making several nice snares. So it's not entirely out of reach.

You guys need to get the building bug. Aqua's on the right track, just maybe on the wrong train. You can build yourself a very nice snare cheaper than you can buy a very nice snare, with minimal tools. And most importantly, when you are playing that drum and another drummer comes up to you and asks you where you got it and what kind it is, you can say "I made it." That usually blows them away.

• Members
Originally posted by aqualung211

good idea too.......
:D

Hey, there is a guy in drumforum that makes sticks. I'm not talking one or two pair a week either. He really whips them out. And guys in the forum all buy them off him. He had an ad in the want ads yesterday for 50 assorted pair unfinished for $50.

He specializes in making stick patterns that aren't made anymore, like the John Bonham Ludwig 2B's.

You guys ought to get out and visit the other forums once in a while. There are guys that re-hammer and re-lathe {censored}ty cymbals into masterpieces. Guys that make their own drum shells. They don't buy Kellers and make drums, they make their own shells. From just about any speices of wood. Guys that make stave and segment drums in their garages and home workshops. Guys that laminate veneers of just about any species of wood over old or new drum shells.

And these guys aren't shops. They are just people with some tools in their garages with some motivation to build some drums. And the cool part is, all of these people, except the cymbal guys, will tell you how to do what they do if you ask them.

• Members

Hey, there is a guy in drumforum that makes sticks. I'm not talking one or two pair a week either. He really whips them out. And guys in the forum all buy them off him. He had an ad in the want ads yesterday for 50 assorted pair unfinished for $50.

He specializes in making stick patterns that aren't made anymore, like the John Bonham Ludwig 2B's.

You guys ought to get out and visit the other forums once in a while. There are guys that re-hammer and re-lathe {censored}ty cymbals into masterpieces. Guys that make their own drum shells. They don't buy Kellers and make drums, they make their own shells. From just about any speices of wood. Guys that make stave and segment drums in their garages and home workshops. Guys that laminate veneers of just about any species of wood over old or new drum shells.

And these guys aren't shops. They are just people with some tools in their garages with some motivation to build some drums. And the cool part is, all of these people, except the cymbal guys, will tell you how to do what they do if you ask them.

give me a link to this guy, im thinking about a pair super long sticks:thu:

• Members

Yes, I want the link.

I too make drums of my own with segmented peices, and am very interested in how they do it.

Archived