drum heads

kenm

• Members

Okay, it is that time again. Time to buy new heads for every drum I own. Top and bottom. Funny how that coincides with recording a new record and as of yesterday, a new drum kit! Okay so here is what I have and what I am thinking of buying

70s Slingerland Chrome over maple

70s Ludwig Maple - butcher block NEW!!!

70s Ludwig Acrolite snare

04 Slingerland Maple snare

05 Worldmax Black Dawg brass snare

all snares are 5.5x14

Okay, so I am pretty much a coated ambassador man, but I want to try the Evans EMAD and G2 heads. MF has a prepack that seems like a good deal. Any suggestions? With these kits I want to keep the vintagey feel/sound, but I would like them to be bright and punchy for the recording.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Be well,

Ken

• Members

Outside of leaning towards thinner single-ply heads for brightness, I can't offer anything... :(

Although, the EC2 coated heads I just got seem to have a good tone without the overtones - which might be better for recording.

Ah hell, I don't know what I'm talking about (see my numerous other threads - lol)

• Members

Not sure which "vintagey" sound you may be looking for, or what kind of BD sound you like, or the size of the drums, or the type of room you will be in, or mic placement, or style of music, or how hard you hit, but... As one coated Ambassador user to another, let me throw this out there.

Toms batter = Clear G2

Toms reso = Evans Glass or Remo Diplomat

snare batter = Genera Dry

snare reso = Evans 300 or Remo Diplomat

kick batter = Coated EQ1

kick reso = Black EQ1 Resonant with hole + a loose towel

I think this setup can be very versatile. By switching to a clear 2-ply tom head, and control ring single-ply snare & BD heads, it can excel at producing an open yet slightly controlled tone. Using the EQ1 BD heads allows for good resonance, but also provides flexibility in tuning and muffling. The Genera Dry snare batter will give a good rim shot, but with a bit of control to avoid putting too many ringnig overtones into the mic.

• Members
Originally posted by kenm

I'm confused about the batter vs. resonant heads. When you suggest the diplomat heads, do I use the batter kind as they don't make a resonant?

Oh, and you can hear a couple of songs on our myspace page. We are using the same studio for this record.

Ken

The drum head makers only make different kinds of heads. You determine if they are batter or resonant by which side you put them on.

• Members

Diplomat...batter vs. resonant:

Remo doesn't really define reso or batter usage (except their concert snare side). Their scheme is all about the thickness of the film used.

Diplomat = 7.5 mil

Ambassador = 10mil

Emperor = 2x 7mil

Evans has stepped up with defining a few heads for resonant usage, or snare side.

But keep in mind, this is your sound we're talking about. Don't let the product manufacturers TELL you how to use the heads. They may SUGGEST a particular usage, but feel free to experiment as much as possible to get the sound you want. As Thingfish says "You determine if they are batter or resonant by which side you put them on."

Now go slap a tympani head on you BD.

• Members

On the 3 ply Ludwigs, single ply coated batter and reso always sound good for a vintage sound. Double ply coated batters if you want something more focused. Single ply coated batter and reso on the bass drum with a felt strip on both sides will get you that vintage sound. No furniture inside the bass drum. It will boom.

Archived