So i got a dilema

bbderek

• Members

sooo, i recently bought a few months ago a metallic premier cabria. gigged a couple times with it, but really no wear and tear. it set me back a lil over $700 and came with some hardware that half of which i dont use. its phillipine 7 ply mahogany. 12x9 rack, 14x14 floor and another 16x16 floor tom.

http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=1442&cart=3945612

Now i've lately come upon this gretsch set for a lil less than what I payed for and all maple and the same sizes as my drums but with another 10x8 rack tom.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Drums-Catalina-Maple-Fusion-Shell-Pack-with-Free-16-Floor-Tom?sku=445670

heres the bad part, did i make an aweful mistake in buyin the premier metallic cabria w/ the heavy rock set up instead of getting this all maple gretsch set? If so, you think i can sell it for around maybe a lil less than $700 to "trade in" for the gretsch set?

• Members

Nah, I don't think you screwed up. You got drums and hardware for less than a shell pack.

Was it the sound you wanted? You haven't said, but sometimes it takes a while to find out what you want in an instrument's sound. I've bought, sold, and traded so many guitars in the 10 years I've played, but I've never felt like I screwed up. It's all a learning experience.

If you sell your Premier kit, will you be selling the hardware as well? Because then, you can expect to add a couple hundred onto the Gretsch kit for hardware, since it's only a shell pack. Have you played the Gretsch kit? Will your current cymbals still sound good with it?

To quote Yoda:

Right or wrong drum kit, there is not. Right or wrong player for the kit, yes.

Okay, I made that up, but you get the idea.

• Members

well, its the first nice set ive gotten and its not producing the resonance and sustain i want. also, i cant get a big enough gap in pitch between my 12'' rack and 14'' floor so im thinkin this gretsch set which has all that i have as well as a 10'' rack would suffice. my friend recently got some gretsch birch catalina drums and i like the way they look. i know his set is birch and that maple will sound different, but im just looking for more warmth and tone in my drums that the phillipine mahogany in my premier set isnt offering.

• Members

RockBass, that was amazing. i heard the Yoda voice!

```````````````

...its not producing the resonance and sustain i want. also, i cant get a big enough gap in pitch between my 12'' rack and 14'' floor so im thinkin this gretsch set which has all that i have as well as a 10'' rack would suffice.

Unless the Premiers are crap (bad bearing edges, out of round, bent rims, delaminating plys) the different drums won't help you. I suspect you need to experiment with heads and tuning. It is hard to imagine you can't get the interval you want between a 12x9 and a 14x14.

I suggest you go with the bottom up tuning. Start with your 16x16 to get it sweet, then your 14, then the 12. Are you using the stock heads? Maybe switch out the batter heads on the toms.

Of course, if you REALLY want that Gretsch kit, try to place an add for your Premieres, and save up some more cash.

• Members

Unfortunately, the first kit you got is now officially "used", so you'll have trouble getting anywhere near the full price out if it. Take the lowest advertised price for it, and knock it down by a couple hundred, and that's what you can expect to get for it if you sell it yourself. If you trade it in to a music store, you'll get even less.

Don't stay awake at night worrying about shell composition. A good kit is a good kit no matter what the wood is, and remember that over 80% of the sound of ANY drum (fancy-assed hand rubbe maple, or factory rolled luan) comes from the heads.

Archived