John Densmore....

sherman22

• Members

I haven't listened to the Doors in a while, but today I've been groovin to some ol school doors CD's. I have forgotten how good Jon Densmore really was. Great drummer, and huge inspiration for me? Comments? I figured we could get a Doors/ JOhn Densmore thread going?

I have always liked how he did that whole ride cymbal to tom thing, like on the end of LA Woman.

?????:thu:

• Members

I always liked his drumming and thought it went well with their music.

However, I'd say that Densmore's biggest contribution to music was managing to restrain himself from driving a drumstick through Jim Morrison's skull.

Densmore had a cameo appearance as a janitor in an episode of "Sledge Hammer!".

• Members

Yeah...Densmore was the right drummer for that band...in more ways than one. Had a good knack for parts that were just interesting enough. I was never a big fan of the band, but I always enjoyed playing Doors covers, particularly Riders on the Storm---beautiful exercise in subtlety.

• Members

Really creative drummer who was perfect for the Doors. You hear a lot of adjectives about the different styles those guys played in. A lot of it had to do with Manzarek's approach to keyboards/bass tones... but Densmore would throw out these bossa nova grooves here and there that just made the tune what it was. He had a great snare sound too. Listen to "When the music's over". I don't know what the hell he's doing in that song, and neither does he, probably. :)

• Members

Originally posted by guang-han

i found his biography of his time playing with the doors interesting.

and he is a really really good drummer

check out "the end" live footage if you can...not much peace and love in that song i dont think

Title of the book?

Archived