Thinking about building my own Floor-Tom?

sherman22

• Members

Fellow Drummers,

I have recently begun to research making my own 16x16 floor tom. Partly because an individual DW 16" floor-tom are like 500 bucks, and I know I can do better, and secondly, well, I really want to make my own drum, and I figure this is the perfect starting place.

To make it blend with my DW maple kit, I'm leaning to a Keller Maple shell with the reinforcement rings (my kit has the rings), in 16x16 size, with some marine pearl wrap, and I guess, some tube lugs. I like the look, I'm not trying to match my kit exactly, I just want a similar sound/shell with a bad ass sound. I know the keller shells are great, Ive just never done this, so any websites, tips, suggestions would be more helpful than you could ever know. Also, Ive done my share of woodwork in my day, but I'm not about to let myself drill those holes, so I do want a quality pre-drilled shell.

Also, I was thinkin about just putting on a light stain on the shell rather than wrap it. Like I said, I don't want to match my DW kit exactly, I just want really nice 16x16 floor (with legs bTW).

Also, What floor tom leg mounts do you guys recommened. I figure, If I get the Keller maple shell with the reinforcements, and the dW floor tom legs, I can't go wrong right?

Help?:wave: :wave: :wave::thu:

• Members

Just another place to check...and obligatory plug for the shop where I bought/built my snare: www.precisiondrum.com.

One other thing to add: The coolest thing about building a drum is that you can do as little or as much of the work as you feel comfortable doing. If you don't have a router table and routing skills, have the pros cut the bearing edges. If you're nervous about drilling, have that done, etc. Just bite off as much work as you feel comfortable chewing, and go for it.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Just another place to check...and obligatory plug for the shop where I bought/built my snare:
www.precisiondrum.com.

One other thing to add: The coolest thing about building a drum is that you can do as little or as much of the work as you feel comfortable doing. If you don't have a router table and routing skills, have the pros cut the bearing edges. If you're nervous about drilling, have that done, etc. Just bite off as much work as you feel comfortable chewing, and go for it.

+1....even if you 'contract' out a couple of the chores....it's still the drum you built!

• Members

+1 more for PRECISION DRUM, these guys are great.

every drum but my snare, i got from them. had them do the bearing edges and drill for lugs.

them i sanded them real good and sprayed lacquer on them.

they sound fantastic, have never heard better sounding drums.

here's mine.

• Members

Originally posted by rhino bucket

+1 more for PRECISION DRUM, these guys are great.

every drum but my snare, i got from them. had them do the bearing edges and drill for lugs.

them i sanded them real good and sprayed lacquer on them.

they sound fantastic, have never heard better sounding drums.

here's mine.

Schweeet kit, rhino. :thu:

I built a snare from them, and had them do the edges, beds, and holes. The thing's great, and it's exactly what I wanted. Plus, since I'm only about an hour from them, I got to go there and try out about a billion snares to hear the differences in shells, sizes, rims, etc. This helped tremendously in guiding me through the literally limitless choices available.

Fun fact: if you watched the old Star Trek episodes, you saw Precision Drum's work in practically every episode. If you look at the transporters, in the background when they'd beam somebody up or down, the wall covering in the background is satin flame drum wrap that was supplied to Star Trek from Precision Drum.

• Members

thanks Steve, it is a nice kit.

allright, the thing with kick is i'm a lefty playing open handed on what is basically a right hand double bass layout. if there was another kick there it would look balanced.

so use lefty double pedals, and a left side ride. also don't have a highhat pedal, hats are mounted closed. some day i'll get cable hats, but at the time i wanted to focus on the kicks.

and again a plug for Precision Drum, as Steve pointed out they been in the game along time. not just some fly by night outfit that got started when it became trendy.

my kit sizes

24x18

16x15

14x13

12x11

10x9

8x7

14x8 ludwig classic maple

Precision's website didn't used to be the greatest. but they can do allmost anything, from couple deferent types of wood hoops, to building big old long ass Van Halen kick drums.

Archived