Bass Drum Resonant Head Question?

sherman22

• Members

Sup,

I've been wanting to replace my stock ebony DW front Reso Head for a while with a coated head. I use Remo heads, but they don't make a bass reso coated head with a port hole. Is there another brand that makes one that you guys recommend? Also, should I just go with a non-ported coated head? Attached is a picture from the Jimmy Eat World site that shows what I'm going for.:thu:

• Members

I have been getting a decent mic sound since the DW reso heads have small Tiny holes around the drum, so I put the Mike near the head and get a good sound, because its kinda ported. Its not that it doesn't sound great, my freind who's a sound engineer told me that recording will be that much easier with a ported head, so I'm will to make the switch, as I've been recording fairly often. Just to add to the sitiation:thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by sherman22

To get that warm tone...and I thought it looked good. Also, you can find coated bass drum heads, hell my Sam-Ash, seems like all they have sometimes is coated Powerstroke 3's, also a very good head.
:thu:

I could be wrong but I don't think coating on the reso head on a bass drum is going to warm the sound up very much at all.

• Members

No big deal.. I was questioning it's usefulness. If it's not as hard to get as I thought, then I was wrong. No biggie.

My perspective is based on the Guitar Center in Totowa where the salesman acted like I had 12 heads each with 12 snakes instead of hair when I asked for a 14" Coated Emperor.

• Members

I've personally never seen a coated reso head on a BD, but of course I'm sure they exist. If you can't find a ported one, you can always buy a normal one and buy a port kit yourself.

I did that on my bass drum head - a six inch chrome hole cover and VOILA!

Just need a razor blade. :thu:

• Members

and they don't have coated emperors, than its not a drum store. Coated Emps are all I use buddy. Next time that dude gives you that look tell him his selection sucks and your business is going elswhere. I've been buying heads onliine lately.:thu:

• Members

Just exacto knife it, do those hole port protectors come with a stencile, or do I just use one of circle drawing things.

There's normaly a nice little "tracing ring" included with it... in honesty, my girlfriend did my first one. It's that easy.

Unrelated note: Watching a hot chick doing ANY type of drum set maintenance makes her easily twice as hot. :love:

• Members

I have been getting a decent mic sound since the DW reso heads have small Tiny holes around the drum, so I put the Mike near the head and get a good sound, because its kinda ported. Its not that it doesn't sound great, my freind who's a sound engineer told me that recording will be that much easier with a ported head, so I'm will to make the switch, as I've been recording fairly often. Just to add to the sitiation:thu:

First, go to ebay and check out www.dalesdrumshop.com or search out "20 bass head". Dales has a bunch of DW 20" black resos for and clear PS3 with drum workshop on them for under $10 each. (I scraped of the "works..p" for "drum ho" ;>) So that'll give you heads to work with. I CANNOT get the Drum Workshop off the clear head, tried WD40, acetone, mineral spirits, nothing works ;>(

I was keeping them whole but something fell & gouged them near center bottom, actually through the reso. So I used the hot can melt through method on the reso. Used an extra large soup can for a 4.5" hole. Use vise grips (locking pliers) and oven mitts and heat it up on a stove burner. Place the UNMOUNTED (no tension) reso on a sheet of scrap wood and press it right through, lifting the head to help cut through. The plastic peels back a little and strengthens the hole. Works great,. hard part is finding the right sized can ;>)

Boomerweps

Archived