Over-Seating????

richiejazz

• Members

Ok, one of the confirmation signs that I see when I think its time to change a batter head is the concave dent buried into the head that you can see when you remove the head from the rim. Of course when new, the heads are pretty much flat either side. I presume the former description is the head exceeding its elastic limit and giving up!! After long us, or a Very heavy session???!!!

Am I right in assuming the head is pretty useless when it shows this trait???

Also, Ive just replaced my snare head (about a week ago) with an Evans Genera dry head; seating it in the normal way etc + taking the head up very very tight and then to normal playing tightness- however I have just replaced that with a Reverse Dot Evans and found that the Evans Dry shows the same signs of 'dishing out' that I would expect from a much older, run through head......why is this? is it possible my seating process is too rigourous?? I do tighten my heads up very tight when I first get them, but I thought this was fairly standard.....+ this doesnt seem to have happened before........BTW I have barely use the Dry Evans head - just for a couple of practices.

Any advice..

• Members

the concavity you mentioned can be a sign of wear on a head, but I wouldn't use it as an exclusive or incontrovertible sign a head is done for.

you said it yourself, a non-played out head is showing the cave-in a little bit. I would guess it's no biggie.

I'd also say you can overdo the seating of a new head. Extreme tension can damage anything! next time try a less vigorous seating treatment. If no ill effects, you're golden. If you no like, crank the bugger and you're where you'd normally be anyhoo.

• Members

denting of the drum head is the result of playing entirely too hard, or not properly seating the head.

When you put a new head on a shell, you need to give it a little push with both hands in the middle as if you were doing chest compressions, then tighten a little, and gradually raise the tension till the head rings like a harmonic on a guitar.

The denting results in the head not being put on right.

Hope this helps...:thu:

Archived