Is this difficult?

Rumble Bass

• Members

Originally posted by Rumble Bass

Hey, I've never posted in this forum before but saw this clip and was just wondering if its as difficult as it looks (the drum part):

In a breath, no, it's not that tough. Just a different sort of pattern to play over a rock song. It reminds me alot of "Manic Depression" by Jimi Hendrix (with Mitch Mitchell on drums).

"Difficult" is a relative term, though. The technical aspect of that song can be obtained pretty quickly, mechanics-wise, but making it feel good takes a bit longer. I dig Chad Smith much more than the band he plays with. :)

• Members

I dunno...I like the Peppers. I've been a fan for years, and actually think that Stadium Arcadium has some great songs on it...but hey...that's me.

As for the video clip, I kept waiting for what you were referring to as the "hard part". Chad Smith can absolutly do some amazing things on a kit that I only dream of pulling off. Still, in that clip, it's the same pattern over and over, and it's not all that challenging.

Why do you ask? Is your drummer having problems with it? If so, OUR collective opinion is irrelevant if your drummer is having problems with it. A more constructive exercise would be to get him on here and ask for some advice on how to play it, which would be pretty straightforward to explain.

• Members

Originally posted by FitchFY

It reminds me alot of "Manic Depression" by Jimi Hendrix (with Mitch Mitchell on drums).

It is a similar pattern, though Manic Depression is a slower 3/4 time, where as this has much more of a 6/8 feel to it.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

I dunno...I like the Peppers. I've been a fan for years, and actually think that Stadium Arcadium has some great songs on it...but hey...that's me.

As for the video clip, I kept waiting for what you were referring to as the "hard part". Chad Smith can absolutly do some amazing things on a kit that I only dream of pulling off. Still, in that clip, it's the same pattern over and over, and it's not all that challenging.

Why do you ask? Is your drummer having problems with it? If so, OUR collective opinion is irrelevant if your drummer is having problems with it. A more constructive exercise would be to get him on here and ask for some advice on how to play it, which would be pretty straightforward to explain.

Personally I love this song and want to suggest it to my band, however our drummer is our "weak link" in that he's only been playing for a couple years. I don't play drums and after watching the clip I thought it looked difficult, mainly because its not in 4/4 time and seems like it would be hard to keep up for a whole song. After hearing the comments here its maybe not so tough after all and I'll bring it up next practice. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by Rumble Bass

Personally I love this song and want to suggest it to my band, however our drummer is our "weak link" in that he's only been playing for a couple years. I don't play drums and after watching the clip I thought it looked difficult, mainly because its not in 4/4 time and seems like it would be hard to keep up for a whole song. After hearing the comments here its maybe not so tough after all and I'll bring it up next practice. Thanks.

I've never actually played it in a band situation, but sitting here at my desk I just figured out the whole riff. It took about 10 seconds to get to a point where I feel confident that I could play it in front of a crowd tonight if I had to. :thu:

The nice thing about it is that once you get it down, it doesn't really change for the whole song. So while your "weak link" might take a little while to get it, once he does get it, the song's pretty much done.

• Members

Originally posted by RockBass

WHAT?!?!?

Well you never know until you try... I once did that instead of listening to nickelback and i had WAY more fun. There's quite an art to it though, you have to get the angle just right otherwise it actually does sound like nickelback (painful).

Archived