Short Trick Pro V1 review

DownByLaw

• Members

This is a repost of my review in the Holiday Gifts thread. Thought it may have been buried there.

Short review: Trick ProV1

This is a very nicely made pedal. (with caveat) Mucho adjustability. No case. (wtf?) The biggest issue I had with it was it's lack of backwards momentum/swing off the head. Because of it's design, the bounce off the head seems to be far less than either the Axis or any other pedal I've tried. This makes the pedal very tiring to play imho. (leg cramps) In addition, despite what their website says, I find the increasing tension as the beater approaches the head to be more than standard pedals. The pedal basically wants to stop EXACTLY at impact, (12:00) with no "follow through". In other words, with the pedal off the drum, when pushed hard the beater does not want to go past absolute vertical, hampering power and giving a strange feel as the beater approaches the head. (my axis has far more power, and the axis is not known for being very powerful) If you do the test most do for kick pedals, namely number of free swings before stopping, it comes up very short. In fact, even my Pearl Eliminator far surpasses it. I also feel there is a serious design flaw in the pedal to beater linkage as the link is not machined exactly enough to prevent rubbing at it's connection to the pedal. (cocked to rub on one side) This spells failure/wear to me. Mine was making unpleasant rubbing/bearing noises right out of the box. My Axis is silent, quicker and cheaper. And with the adjustability of the Axis (Original, A) it can convincingly mimick the feel of the Trick, and more, silently (absolutely silently)

For what it's worth, I play mostly heel up, some heel/toe. And yes, I adjusted this pedal 6 ways from Sunday over the course of 3 days.

Patrick

Archived