So Snare Wires

bbderek

• Members

Originally posted by bbderek

What do you use,

Why do you use them over others

What sound do they give

And basically anything else you like about em

Oh cool topic.. Ive been drumming for years. And I dont have a clue. Please help here too.

I use what the guy at my drum shop recommends (Drum City)

Think the last ones I got were Puresounds or something like that.

See reason one.

Nice with gentle playing. Still there when playing hard. I personally like a lot of buzz. Also why I double mic my snares.

Its about time to replace mine again. So I see a learning potential for myself and others here.

I read a lot of manufactures sites and I see what are called inovative, Insert Other Hype Word Here , ect. I really want to learn more about the real stuff.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I would think that the only reason to change them is if you mess them up, by resting your snare on the floor or something.

• Members

Originally posted by jacarual

And how do you know when you need to change them?
:confused:

One breaks off or one's bent funny and it buzzing or you're trying to go for a different sound?

Puresound makes a lot of varieties. http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/SnareWires.htm

Click on them they explain what they do a bit. They really do make quite a difference in your sound. I tried the Equilizer first, they have two rows of snares and space between them rather than all the way through so you got a tighter snappier sound. But that's no good for me I'm a loud drummer so I switched to the Blasters and that's exactly what they do. A little bit more buzz but with the right tuning you can weed that out a good amount.

• Members

I can tell you which ones not to try... the Grover cable snares. I bought a set of these and although they sounded fat, they stretched out and broke really easily and I had to throw them out in probably less than a week. For almost $30, they were not a wise investment. I don't tighten my wires that much either, so if you are thinking about trying them, don't. I just use the $10 Pearl wires because they're the only others that I've played. They seem to hold up pretty well too.

• Members

I've tried the nylon ones on my maple snare and they sounded great (to me). I don't like a realy snappy sound. I am more after a thicker, tubby "cannon" sound on my snare. The nylon strands, coupled with tuning the top and bottom heads a little more loose than normal, gave me just what I was looking for.

I wouldn't recommend it for soft playing though. Nylon strands don't lend themselves to sensitive response very well. In my case, I didn't need that anyway.

Since I got the DW Edge snare, I haven't tried the nylon strands on it yet, but for now I am just using the stock DW strands that came with it.

Archived