Custom Drum Companies

Chunkaway

• Members

Talk to me about any custom drum company you have experience with. Any you recommend? Any you advise staying away from?

I already have an Ayotte, but anything other than that would be great.

(And before Aqua tries to rip me a new one, I already have done my research on Sonor, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Gretsch, etc...) I'm looking specifically at custom drum companies.

So, opinions?

• Members

I own a GMS kit I got in '94. That kit is something else. Still sounds great and very durable. I have the "Road Master Series" which were the same as "Grand Master Series" as far as the drums, but the finish was more durable. I am not sure how they do things now.

Again, these drums sing like crazy and are easy to tune. I remember the guys over there being really helpful and easy to talk too. They are VERY proud of their product and it shows.

There are tons of custom drum companies nowadays then when I got my GMS's. They all make great drums...but I know I will die with these drums; I will never get rid of them, they sound that good.

NOTE: Vinniewannabe does not work or is associated with the GMS company whatsoever and was not paid for this advertisement.

• Members

I seriously can't stand these questions.

EVERY company is a custom company. You call a dealer and say what you want...simple as that,

Machine versus hand, color choices, wood, etc.. Does that help for clarification? If I want to have a variety of bearing edges on my drums will Tama, Sonor, Pearl do that for me? If I want a variety of plys on my toms will these guys do that?

I'll give you and idea Aqua, I really like Yamaha drums-their kicks are not my favorites, but I like their drums. I HATE the color choices they have available-especially for their Maple Customs. They are so damn boring. I talked to Yamaha about getting a different, unique color on a kit. I got two answers: no and definitely no.

So, not all companies are custom drum companies.

• Members

The only custom drum company I've dealt with was C&C. I requested a completely custom drum from the plys and bearing edge angle to the lug choice and type of snares that would be included. But I paid for it!

If you have a good dealer in your area you can gwhat you want from one of the bigger companies, but if your local guy won't go to bat for you you're pretty much out of luck.

good luck!

• Members

Chunk,

Harmony centrals main page has a list of Drum mfgs.Even custom companys.Click on the percussion section and in the lower right of that screen is the mfgs list that should keep you busy looking at all the custom companies for about a year.Thats how long it took me.My favorite is Precision drum co.They have the coolest sets in ply type shells.Many others make stave and segment shells.Beware though some companies only liist their sites in the country they are in language.

:thu:http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif

:thu:

• Members

Machine versus hand, color choices, wood, etc.. Does that help for clarification? If I want to have a variety of bearing edges on my drums will Tama, Sonor, Pearl do that for me? If I want a variety of plys on my toms will these guys do that?

Yep, Tama will do it on their starclassic series.

• Members

Chunk,

Harmony centrals main page has a list of Drum mfgs.Even custom companys.Click on the percussion section and in the lower right of that screen is the mfgs list that should keep you busy looking at all the custom companies for about a year.Thats how long it took me.My favorite is Precision drum co.They have the coolest sets in ply type shells.Many others make stave and segment shells.Beware though some companies only liist their sites in the country they are in language.

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif

Okay, I must be a moron, but I don't see what you are talking about on their main page. Can you send the link?

• Members

Yup. You can order your drums just about any way you want. Wood type, finish, bearing edges, etc.

...as far as I know.

I just spoke with the drum manager at my local GC, and he said it would take 6 months to get a DW kit in navy blue sparkle lacquer. (6 months?!?!?) Oh and did I mention the cost was almost $1000 more than any other brand so far? WTF?!?!?

I hate GC sometimes.

• Members

dw has a tremendous backlog, apparently due to popularity and their 'picky-ness'. It's well worth the wait, though. Well, in my opinion anyway.

But come to think of it, I don't think you'll be getting a lacquer kit with sparkle. That will probably be a wrap finish. Here's a sample of their Midnight Glass wrap. I've seen their 'glass' wraps in person. Trust me, the picture doesn't do it justice!

Archived