Why aquarian kicks ass

aqualung211

• Members

I'm getting ready to leave REMO after 22 years. Most of that time, I never really thought too much about manufacturers. But, over the years, I have found REMO to be very inconsistent.

What are your thoughts about the different lines Aquarian offer? I was interested in their Double Thins some time back - but now realize they're discontinued. I find myself looking for something between a coated Ambassador (which I like quite a bit but when they're in the "wear-out" stage they really go to hell) and a clear Emperor ( which I find to be a bit too dampened and accentuate the attack of the stick hitting the film).

Any thoughts?

• Members

Response II's for toms.

Well im not a big fan of stuff like remo emperors(clear) or evans g2s(clear) which i have tried both. There wasnt enough warmth at all. And the coated versions of them sounded "funny" to me. I might just go texture coated single ply all the way around my drums. But thank you for your help, much appriciated.:thu:

• Members

Seems to me that the pre-formed collar on the head would work better with the 'butter' edges on older Tama SuperMahogany Superstars, Gretches, Zickos and DW Classic mahogany drums. Doesn't seem to be such a great idea for double 45 edges because the 'sound curve' is going to be pulled out of shape by the tension on the head.

• Members

Well im not a big fan of stuff like remo emperors(clear) or evans g2s(clear) which i have tried both. There wasnt enough warmth at all. And the coated versions of them sounded "funny" to me. I might just go texture coated single ply all the way around my drums. But thank you for your help, much appriciated.
:thu:

If you dig warm try the Modern Vintage ones.

Go to www.aquariandrumheads.com and browse around.

• Members

Well im gonna reskin here later this week. And im gonna take your advice there aqua. Thanks for the info. Well at least the toms. I like a really heavy head for my main snare. So I think im gonna stick with the Remo CS for that.

What about the other side of the drum? Recommendations there.

Mike

• Members

Seems to me that the pre-formed collar on the head would work better with the 'butter' edges on older Tama SuperMahogany Superstars, Gretches, Zickos and DW Classic mahogany drums. Doesn't seem to be such a great idea for double 45 edges because the 'sound curve' is going to be pulled out of shape by the tension on the head.

Good point. Bottom line, if you look at the diagram of the pre-formed collar vs. the other "wrinkled" one, if you tune the drum right, you don't get wrinkles...pre-formed or not. I've never had a problem with a head getting a wrinkle like that that wasn't the fault of being out of tune.

Don't get me wrong, Aquarian makes great heads. I swear by my SKII/Regulator combo (although I'm intrigued by Remo's new kick head), but like anybody else, pointing out differences like these is largely marketing hype, IMHO. Bottom line, you either like the way a head performs or you don't, and when a head DOES work for you, the collar, rim, glue, or whatever else is involved in the head becomes irrelevant.

BTW, there's a head on a kit at my band's rehearsal studio that I've never seen before. It's a clear Aquarian head with a dot in the middle, a black band around the outside, and what looks like a bunch of concentric circles imbedded in the head. It's EXTREMELY muffled (almost like a Hydrualic) makes the drum sound like it's full of pudding. Frankly, it sounds like ass as far as I'm concerned, but I've never seen this head before or anywhere else.

• Members

Or you can just find any way possible to debunk all products that aren't Remo.

Exactly, that's why I use Aquarain heads on my kick. It's all part of my master plan.

I just find it amusing that you've latched onto one alleged advantage of Aquarian and you've totally bought into it without any further analysis.

If you told me that they acutally sounded better in your experience, or in your personal experience found them to tune up better, or that the coating lasts longer (if you use coated heads), and you based that on your own personal usage, then maybe I'd pay attention. On the other hand, simply re-posting a company's marketing material just tells me (as a person who makes his living in advertising and marketing) that you're exactly the type of consumer we love, because you'll buy whatever BS is shoveled to you. :D

• Members

Exactly, that's why I use Aquarain heads on my kick. It's all part of my master plan.

I just find it amusing that you've latched onto one alleged advantage of Aquarian and you've totally bought into it without any further analysis.

If you told me that they acutally sounded better in your experience, or in your personal experience found them to tune up better, or that the coating lasts longer (if you use coated heads), and you based that on your own personal usage, then maybe I'd pay attention. On the other hand, simply re-posting a company's marketing material just tells me (as a person who makes his living in advertising and marketing) that you're exactly the type of consumer we love, because you'll buy whatever BS is shoveled to you.
:D

Can you read? That's what i've said from day one. They sound, tune, and last better than Remo. As for Evans, coated G1's are pretty god damn good.

These Remo's i've bought are a complete joke, ghost notes sound like a stiff plastic pop.

• Members

Can you read? That's what i've said from day one. They sound, tune, and last better than Remo. As for Evans, coated G1's are pretty god damn good.

These Remo's i've bought are a complete joke, ghost notes sound like a stiff plastic pop.

I would have to agree with you a little bit on this one. I have been using remo since i have started drumming and i always had minor problems with them. I have recently decided to pull out some evans g2s and they have workled pretty well so far. The only head i could really get a sound i wanted from remo was the coated ambasadors and even then they werent "exactly" what i was looking for. To this day i am still searching for the "Perfect" set of different heads on my drums. This is why i want to try some aquarians really soon. Maybe go with some of the new super 2s or texture coated. Remo isnt bad in everything and are a good company but just not exactly what i am looking for.

• Members

BTW, this is what you said on day 1:

In fact after re-reading this whole post (had to re-take some reading lessons), there's nothing posted by you that says anything about any playability, tuning, or much else until I called you out on it.
:rolleyes:

Surely you have enough intelligence to know i wasn't reffering to one single thread.

Everybody knows my stance on religion....so if i said "i've been saying Jesus is fake from day one" in that jesus spam thread, would you be dumb enough to look in that one single thread and think "no you didn't"?

• Members

I would have to agree with you a little bit on this one. I have been using remo since i have started drumming and i always had minor problems with them. I have recently decided to pull out some evans g2s and they have workled pretty well so far. The only head i could really get a sound i wanted from remo was the coated ambasadors and even then they werent "exactly" what i was looking for. To this day i am still searching for the "Perfect" set of different heads on my drums. This is why i want to try some aquarians really soon. Maybe go with some of the new super 2s or texture coated. Remo isnt bad in everything and are a good company but just not exactly what i am looking for.

Never before have i spent so much time tuning a snare. Almost every day i sit down for at least 30 minutes and fiddle with it, but it just fails to perform. I took the 14" coated G1 from my floor tom and decided to put it on my snare, tuned the {censored}er 5 minutes and i was in bliss. The Satin Finish (Aquarian) sounds pretty close to the G1.

• Members

I find myself looking for something between a coated Ambassador (which I like quite a bit but when they're in the "wear-out" stage they really go to hell) and a clear Emperor ( which I find to be a bit too dampened and accentuate the attack of the stick hitting the film).

The Aquarian coating lasts a lot longer than the Ambassador coating, in my experience, so if you like Ambassadors just get regular Texture Coated. If you want a more damp sound without going multi-ply, try coated Studio-X...it's a very subtle damping compared to multi-ply heads or a baffle.

I know what you mean about "stick hitting film" sound: clear Emperors and Pinstripes are great for playing loud, but soft notes sound like plastic to me. And the coated ones are way too damp.

I haven't tried the Super-2 so I can't comment. I used to run coated Double Thins, and they sounded great, but only in a very narrow tuning range (on my drums...YMMV). I went back to regular Texture Coated because they gave me a lot more tuning flexibility.

For resos, I'm old-fashioned: either clear Hi-Frequency or Classic Clear.

• Members

Surely you have enough intelligence to know i wasn't reffering to one single thread.

Everybody knows my stance on religion....so if i said "i've been saying Jesus is fake from day one" in that jesus spam thread, would you be dumb enough to look in that one single thread and think "no you didn't"?

Believe it or not, I don't keep track of all of your threads. My point (and only point) is this:

You posted "why aquarian kicks ass" and then posted only a link to what is essentially (at least as I see it) a page of marketing tripe. If that's the reason that Aquarian kicks ass, I think you're wrong.

I actually think Aquarian kicks ass too. Their kick heads are untouchable by anything else on the market, as far as I can see. Their other heads are also very good, but the difference in quality isn't as greatly defined...again, only my opinion.

Roy Burns, their founder, is a great player and innovative inventor. Hell, I use their cymbal springs on my chinas, come to think of it.

The "out of the box tuning" concept, however, is irrelvant to me, because I actually tension drumheads once they're on my drum. I can think of LOTS of reasons why Aquarian kicks ass, only that particular page isn't exactly one of those reasons.

• Members

Believe it or not, I don't keep track of all of your threads. My point (and only point) is this:

You posted "why aquarian kicks ass" and then posted only a link to what is essentially (at least as I see it) a page of marketing tripe. If that's the reason that Aquarian kicks ass, I think you're wrong.

I actually think Aquarian kicks ass too. Their kick heads are untouchable by anything else on the market, as far as I can see. Their other heads are also very good, but the difference in quality isn't as greatly defined...again, only my opinion.

Roy Burns, their founder, is a great player and innovative inventor. Hell, I use their cymbal springs on my chinas, come to think of it.

The "out of the box tuning" concept, however, is irrelvant to me, because I actually tension drumheads once they're on my drum. I can think of LOTS of reasons why Aquarian kicks ass, only that particular page isn't exactly one of those reasons.

I see. This was the first time i had even seen this link. The sound was what convinced me of the quality. I just thought i would use it to convince people to try them, and it worked for one or two people.:D

So you're right, it is a manipulation tool, and i used it for it's very purpose.:D

Nobody ever listens to me, so i had to break out the big guns.:mad:

Archived