back in black

mraia

• Members

I am not going to overly justify Rudd... There is a lot more he *could* have done. He is not really in Watt's league. Charlie is a jazzman and has a great feel.

But again, it comes down to: do you like the basic music or not? And it really sounds like you dislike them. And I really cannot picture AC/DC done any other way than simple.

I dunno, i listen to some sludge and doom so i definitely don't hate on simple music (There's nothing more simple in this world than a Bongzilla record. Amerijuanican is very simple). Like i said, i'm not saying he should do more, i just wish he didn't sound like he was half asleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFTAMVTgEgE

another good example, simple but lots a' pocket.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I really couldn't give two {censored}s what a producer tells you to do, he's there to make sure your music is marketable. would you REALLY take Rick Rubins advice? {censored} that!

When the world is running down, by The Police is a good example. Copeland lays down a beat as/more simple than Rudds {censored}, but it has feel and soul in it. It's the first song that ever made me say "{censored}, if i could dance right, i'd be dancing to this!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyPzZ5NLB4

Does he sound like he's overplaying? Does he sound busy? No. He's right in the pocket with everybody else, right there inside that som'a bitch. He's playing FOR the song, still keeping a back beat, but giving us some soul and feel. Sorry, but i'm never going to be able to share these views about Rudd. I can't and never will be able to stand that man.

Well, FWIW, if I was lucky enough to be working with Rick Rubin I'd certainly listen to him. Chances are I'd be on the way to a very successful and profitable career. But then that's another can of worms, and we all play for different reasons!

The first clip (the burning beard track) had a really interesting groove there. :thu:

Okay, I think I see where you're coming from. You prefer something with a bit more excitement in it perhaps? I can see that.:idea:

I'm gonna put this up as it's one of my favourite band's with one of my favourite drummers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmsHiaRSpRA

Siouxsie and The Banshees in 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall.
I really love Budgie's playing. It's got style, attitude, and dynamics yet is never 'busy' and always fits perfectly with the song.
See what you think!

• Members
Yeah, that was cool. Better than Rudd for sure.
:D

Spirits In The Material World is a perfect example of what i'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaFiyHrzt0

Yeah, good one that. Probably herecy to say it, but I sometimes find copeland's drumming a bit busy. It borders on clouding the song at times, for me at least.
Still, undeniably a great drummer though!

Y'see, I think some of your preference comes down to the style of the band and production techniques/drum sound as much as the drummer.

Police....upbeat, snappy
AC/DC...... well......it's AC/DC

Without question though all of these drummers have played EXACTLY what the song needed. And so, in a roundabout way we do agree with each other :D:thu:

• Members
Yeah, good one that. Probably herecy to say it, but I sometimes find copeland's drumming a bit busy. It borders on clouding the song at times, for me at least.

Still, undeniably a great drummer though!

Y'see, I think some of your preference comes down to the style of the band and production techniques/drum sound as much as the drummer.

Police....upbeat, snappy

AC/DC...... well......it's AC/DC

Without question though all of these drummers have played EXACTLY what the song needed. And so, in a roundabout way we do agree with each other
:D:thu:

In terms of studio recordings, he's not too busy....but live he's {censored}in annoying. watch that vid with him and Incubus on Youtube, i want to ring his skinny {censored}ing neck for that performance.

• Members
Well, FWIW, if I was lucky enough to be working with Rick Rubin I'd certainly listen to him. Chances are I'd be on the way to a very successful and profitable career. But then that's another can of worms, and we all play for different reasons!

The first clip (the burning beard track) had a really interesting groove there.
:thu:

Okay, I think I see where you're coming from. You prefer something with a bit more excitement in it perhaps? I can see that.
:idea:

I'm gonna put this up as it's one of my favourite band's with one of my favourite drummers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmsHiaRSpRA

Siouxsie and The Banshees in 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall.

I really love Budgie's playing. It's got style, attitude, and dynamics yet is never 'busy' and always fits perfectly with the song.

See what you think!

Yay for Budgie! Lots of tom work in his playing, which I'm not always a fan of, but he typically sounded very good.

I had forgotten how damn ugly Siouxsie was. Ugh.

• Members

In terms of studio recordings, he's not too busy....but live he's {censored}in annoying. watch that vid with him and Incubus on Youtube, i want to ring his skinny {censored}ing neck for that performance.

Copeland is one of my favorites for his playing on Murder By Numbers. 12/8 and the guy makes it smooth as silk. His synchopated ride work on many of the Police's songs drives me crazy though. Every time he goes to the ride on Man in a Suitcase, I cringe. Back off the damn bell already, we get the picture. His time is all over the place on the early Police records, which is endearing in a way but also a bit annoying if you are trying to play along.

By the way, I agree with aqua, I don't think Copeland typically overplayed on the recordings. That Incubus thing is terrible though.

Having said all that, I would not want to hear another drummer with the Police, just as I would not want to hear another drummer with AC/DC. My guess with people like aqua is they probably don't like AC/DC's songs all that much to begin with. I mean I doubt there are many people out there who love AC/DC's songs but really dislike Phill Rudd.

• Members

I like ACDC. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but i don't dislike the band in the slightest bit. Except for the newer {censored}, blegh.

And i absolutelt adore Copelands riding patterns. I'm having a hella hard time recreating that sound, it's not just the bell. On Any Other Day is a good example, i just can't recreate that {censored}ing sound! I want a ride that sounds like that too but i've yet to hear one like that.

• Members

we do "back in black" in my band, and yeah the beat is simply, but when i play it excites me! the guitars and the bass, just fits so well with it!

I enjoy complicated stuff as well, but there is just something about that song that makes my hair stand up on end (well the hair on my neck, cause i shave my head ! :D)

• Members

Aqua, let me understand this.Your telling us that theres no feeling to Rudds playing, and that Copeland ( who I love) plays with a lot more feel?
Gotta disagree with you. I find the two not very dissimilar. different music and styles, for sure, but both serve the song equally well.

I dont know, Aqua. You saying that you have improved upon Rudds playing seems to ring false. What did you do so differently? Add more "feel" to? What exactly is your definition of "feel"? Back in Black, both the album and the song, are considered benchmarks in rock and roll, both for the simplicity of the music and for the superiority of the songs and performances. Im not sure, and I dont think you've explained it all that well, what it is you feel should be added to that body of work. Its considered perfect already!
What Im hearing from you is, "I think Rudd is a bore, and Copeland is not" which is fine, but its odd coming from you, as someone who has historically slagged off the Pearts and the Portnoys for being to flashy. Theres a little disconnect with what your saying and what you've stood for in the past.

• Members

I like ACDC. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but i don't dislike the band in the slightest bit. Except for the newer {censored}, blegh.

And i absolutelt adore Copelands riding patterns. I'm having a hella hard time recreating that sound, it's not just the bell. On Any Other Day is a good example, i just can't recreate that {censored}ing sound! I want a ride that sounds like that too but i've yet to hear one like that.

Okay so there are people out there who like AC/DC but hate Phil Rudd. Fair enough.

Copeland's synchopated ride has got to go. Once in a while is fine-heck even once a song would be okay. I want to tell him, "Hey everytime you go to the ride, you don't have to play a synchopated pattern on the bell. The edge of the cymbal actually can sound good too." Now Copeland's hi-hat work is legendary and for some reason I love the synchopated and intricate patterns he plays on those.

• Members
Aqua, let me understand this.Your telling us that theres no feeling to Rudds playing, and that Copeland ( who I love) plays with a lot more feel?

Gotta disagree with you. I find the two not very dissimilar. different music and styles, for sure, but both serve the song equally well.

I dont know, Aqua. You saying that you have improved upon Rudds playing seems to ring false. What did you do so differently? Add more "feel" to? What exactly is your definition of "feel"? Back in Black, both the album and the song, are considered benchmarks in rock and roll, both for the simplicity of the music and for the superiority of the songs and performances. Im not sure, and I dont think you've explained it all that well, what it is you feel should be added to that body of work. Its considered perfect already!

What Im hearing from you is, "I think Rudd is a bore, and Copeland is not" which is fine, but its odd coming from you, as someone who has historically slagged off the Pearts and the Portnoys for being to flashy. Theres a little disconnect with what your saying and what you've stood for in the past.

I improved upon it by not being half asleep. That's all one needs to do. And you have more than obviously never heard Shadow's In The Rain for you to say Copeland is even remotely similar. And i never slagged Peart for being too flashy, i slagged him because he's obsolete....there's youngins out there who can do anything he can/has done and even kick it up a notch too. And i slapped Portnoy because he's Peart 0.5

If this Rudd stuff has to be explained, then the whole idea is lost, because this is stuff you do or don't get. You obviously don't get it. I can't understand why all these people won't see the light.....but whatever. {censored} it.

God i want to kill that {censored}ing man.:mad:

• Members

If this Rudd stuff has to be explained, then the whole idea is lost, because this is stuff you do or don't get. You obviously don't get it. I can't understand why all these people won't see the light.....but whatever. {censored} it.

Ok, I dont get it. Modern Drummer, who just named Back in Black one of the definitive drum performances of the 80's, doesnt get it. All the guys on this forum, who I would wager are FAR more experienced and worldly than you, dont get it. EVERYBODY doesnt get it.

But you do.

Some moderately intelligent kid playing alone in his basement in the wilds of Virginia....you get it.

Thing is, you really dont know WHAT your trying to say. Your comments about Peart are counter to what youve said in the past, and Portnoy being a clone of Peart is simply foolish.
Just listen to yourself, and imagine what you sound like to others who know better.

I say all this with affection, kid. Please dont call me an asshole or something like that. Thats not the point of this.

Learn to accept the fact that you simply dont know everything, and that opinion counts, but not for much if your dead wrong. :wave:

• Members
:)
:freak:
:confused:

Darn you!!!! I got the disk out today and all I Want to play today...

And just a point.. You are after all talking about Aqua... LOLLOLLOL

Contradiction King!

And WHERE is The Great T ?????

Ha! Sorry man:D What the hell...go play!

• Members
Yay for Budgie! Lots of tom work in his playing, which I'm not always a fan of, but he typically sounded very good.

I had forgotten how damn ugly Siouxsie was. Ugh.

Yeah, love budgie's drumming. I really like that whole new wave thing *full stop* and I'm quite into the whole rhythmic tom thing.
I think Stephen Morris' drumming in Joy Division was also really interesting, if at times being a little shakey technically, it was exciting and quite adventurous.

However, I can't stand by and let you say that about Siouxsie! :eek: But then I DO have a thing for Goth Girls:thu: (might have someting to do with being a dirty goff myself but then that's a different discussion!) :D

• Members
Ok, I dont get it. Modern Drummer, who just named Back in Black one of the definitive drum performances of the 80's, doesnt get it. All the guys on this forum, who I would wager are FAR more experienced and worldly than you, dont get it. EVERYBODY doesnt get it.

But you do.

Some moderately intelligent kid playing alone in his basement in the wilds of Virginia....you get it.

Thing is, you really dont know WHAT your trying to say. Your comments about Peart are counter to what youve said in the past, and Portnoy being a clone of Peart is simply foolish.

Just listen to yourself, and imagine what you sound like to others who know better.

I say all this with affection, kid. Please dont call me an asshole or something like that. Thats not the point of this.

Learn to accept the fact that you simply dont know everything, and that opinion counts, but not for much if your dead wrong.
:wave:

MD? Big {censored}ing woop, MD gave Lombardo a cover so their opinion means jack {censored}. And when did i say Peart had tons a' soul? Yeah there's people who know TONS right? People like Pearl Player....grown men who type like 12 year old boys. I'm sure he know's VAST amounts more than me.
And portnoy isn't a peart clone, he's a douche who wants to be peart. "look i can do prog too!!".

And you argue your point just as badly as you claim i argue mine. Rudd is a hack....period. Boring, dull, and uninspired.

Bah
bah
bah
bah
bah
dee
dee
dee
dee
de
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
dee
derh
derh
derhderg
derh
derh
derh

Tell me, how did you feel when you just read that? Probably the same way i feel when i listen to Rudd. :wave:

• Members

Tell me, how did you feel when you just read that?

the same way I feel when I argue with you.

Why insult Pearl Player? Whats he said or done to you? I realize that as much as I like you, most of the time your arguments hold absolutely no water.

Same thing over and over. Somoene says something. You disagree. You insult. Someone calls you on it. You insult again, and then say your done with the argument.

Yet, you never say anything to support your arguments, let alone why you feel the need to insult anyone who doesnt share your very narrow view.

Your right about one thing. This topic isnt worth mixing it up with you over.

:(

• Members

I'd like to offer up the theory that if you are basing Phil's drumming on Back In Black, I can somewhat agree with what Aqua is getting at. It was a Mutt Lang production, who is notoriously known as a major control freak in the studio. For Those About To Rock is very much the same. Better examples of Phil's real drum skills are on the albums Let There Be Rock and Highway To Hell. I think he excels more on those than BIB. Mutt Lang produced on the latter, too, but that album still sounds and feels like a slightly more polished AC/DC rockfest. Back In Black, which I also love (saw them on that tour back in the day) is a very different AC/DC in many respects (beyond the obvious Bon to Brian change).

On a side note, I don't recall a band that went through such a significant change in singer and successfully came out the other side stronger in so many ways. Some of the true rock pioneers that consistently carried the torch.

• Members

Darn you!!!! I got the disk out today and all I Want to play today...

And just a point.. You are after all talking about Aqua... LOLLOLLOL

Contradiction King!

And WHERE is The Great T ?????

I dunno Mraia, why would i want to insult this man?

LOLOLOLZZ !!11!! 11!!! d00d lololo

Archived