Saluda Cymbals

bbderek

• Members

So I've heard them mentioned a few times around here recently. A long time ago I almost bought a saluda ride online before I knew anything about sound quality and buying online.

Anyone had any experience with them?

What'r they like?

All that jazz.....

• Members

I purchased a few blindly offline maybe about 3-4 years ago.

They where terrible. Actually the voodoo china was decent. Very similar to a wuhan. One was a 12" splash. It sounded like a shovel. DOOOnngg!

I have heard though there newer lines are supposed to be better. They would have to be. I have heard some people say the mist series is decent.

I usually never buy cymbals I can't play first or at least have decent clips to.

• Members

I purchased a Saluda 14" crash several years back. It was horrible! It sounded/sounds worse than a trash can lid. Then I noticed that they sent me a 14" Hi-Hat bottom. I emailed them and was told that sometimes they "convert" hi-hats to crashes if they don't meet a HH spec. I told him that wasn't acceptable because this obviously wasn't a crash cymbal and didn't sound close to one.

I sent the cymbal back (at my expense...of course) and a two weeks later I got the "replacement." I use quotes, because I was sent back the same cymbal I returned... only this time they had "removed" the "HI-Hat" label/stamp from the cymbal. (You can still see where the label was indicating it was the same cymbal). I currently use it w/ my Rhythm Traveler practice kit as a practice crash with a mute over it so it doesn't really make a sounds. It was the only way it was of any use.

Needless to say, I will never buy one again and strongly urge against Saluda.

Instead, try Masterworks. Same idea, GREAT cymbals and sound. Apparently they know how to make cymbals cheap in turkey better than North Carolina.

DB

• Members

Needless to say, I will never buy one again and strongly urge against Saluda.

DB

Dude. They seem to have grown up quite a bit as a company. You may want to reconsider. Of course, if you're already happy with what you've got... Just sayin'. A few years ago they had some poopy looking cymbals. The new stuff looks very, very nice. The Mist Brilliants that I've heard sound great.

Archived