Drum Rug

Majoria

• Members

I just want to be sure on what should be an easy topic. I have a gig this coming Saturday on a hardwood floor and I'm looking to pick up a rug to put under the kit so as to prevent any wandering. I've found several low price 5x8 rugs, some around $18 and a few around $30. I like the $30 ones as they actually have a little more thickness and I think will better prevent any unwanted movement. And they don't look like they belong in a four year old's room.

But just to be certain, anyone use a rug and learn the hard way about some aspect or quality to avoid? I've heard a few on this forum that have used them, just looking for some feedback.

• Members

I bought a $15 one from Wal-Mart. It's probably 5'x8'. It's way bigger than my kit takes up, which means if I'm not the first one setting up (which I usually am), the rug is too big for the space, and I've got to fold the edges up, etc. It's also a very thin rug. This is great for packing it in the car... you can fold it like a blanket instead of having to roll it up. But it means it's not as sturdy. My kick drum does creep forward about 2" when I put it down. I solve this by just pushing forward on my kick drum before I set up the rest of the kit, but occasionally it does still walk a little bit. Gets the job done though and I couldn't justify dropping any more money than that.

When I find a nice soft shag-type carpet I'm going to get that... I play barefoot a lot and it's nice having your own little "soft space" on the stage to play!!

• Members

dude, you gotta go with the Kaces rug--according to their display on MF, it's "It's the hip rug to have."
:rolleyes:

All Satire aside, the wife got me one of those for Christmas and it really is a nice rug. The kick doesn't move at all and it is easy to transport.

• Members

I have a drum-specific rug that's actually two strips of "rug" that are joined by a few nylon straps in the middle. This allows the thing to be folded in half before you roll it up so the whole thing rolls down to about 6" x 24". It even has a strap bullit in to wrap around it. Sadly, I've forgotten what it's called, but I'm sure you'll see it if you do a search.

Of course, this thing was probably $30 whereas I could have gotten a carpet remnant from a carpet store for probably 1/3 that amount.

If you're not looking for "extreme portability", I'd check the local home centers, wall marts, and carpet stores, and see if you can get something close to the right size in a color that makes sense (white would probably be bad ;) ).

Other than that, there are other ways to keep your drums from slipping. I've seen guys run a thin chain through the lugs on their kick drum and around the post on their throne. That way, the drummer, his seat, and the kick are all "connected". I suppose you could do the same with the hi-hats. Of course, be careful not to trip when you get up. Probably not as practical as a rug, but in a pinch, if you DON'T have a rug, and can find some clothesline or something, it might be an option.

Years ago I used to play this place that had a slick plywood drum riser, that usually had carpet on it. One night we get there, and the carpet was gone. I borrowed a hammer from the bar and got a couple of long nails and drove them halfway into the stage to use as "stops" in front of my kick. Worked great, but I doubt that most people would be cool with you pounding nails into their floors.

You want SUPER cheap? Here's an option: go make friends with the guys at the carpet store. Tell them that you want some old carpet and ask them if you can go "salvage" some old carpet when they go install NEW carpet in somebody's house. Either that, or go through their dumpster after they do an installation. Most old carpet gets replaced because it looks crappy and worn out, which isn't that big of a deal if you're just going to put drums on it.

• Members

I also use a $12 Wal Mart special. It's actually a rubber backed entrance mat, but not the kind with the rubber border. It's very light, water resistant and the ribbing on the top side really helps hold my bass drum in place.

It's only 4' x 6'...just enough to sit under the bass drum and stool.

• Members

I use the foam modular tile, anti fatigue mats. They come 2'x2' and are really light. You can find them at home depot too. They do not slip at all and hold your drums and stands snug. They also leave just enough of a mark that you can place your drums and stands exactly where they were before. They are pretty inexpensive as well. My bass drum has NEVER crept away from me and it doesn't bunch up like carpet can.

• Members

Stool? You ah...may wanna clean that up before your next gig.

I always thought the term "throne" sounded like something you'd sit on to poop. Either that, or a "real" throne would be a giant ornate chair for a king to sit in, and comparing a collapsable stool to that seemed ridiculous.

• Members

I use a 4' x 8' piece of outdoor carpet (not astroturf--carpet). It's the kind you put on steps and porches. It's thin, sturdy, tough, slip-resistant, and flexible, so it folds right up. Works equally as well as a cushion to set things on in the back of my truck during transport.

DaveM

• Members

Only thing to watch out for is the duct tapers. I got a nice cheap 5x8 rug from Wally World and when it got taped down at a gig (Kitchen pass through the band area!) the tape ripped off the border material when removed. removed carpet reminants from an install are good if you can clean them well. All styles of carpet and they are usually worn just enough to make for easy folding or rolling up. I prefer jute backed ones for the spurs to dig into.

One thing about the under $20 and free rugs. You don't get as upset when someone spills a beer on them and you can mark them up, even with spray paint where the drums & stands go. Change your setup, another $20. Cheap enough ;>)

Oh, and you can add your own stops on the rugs using wood or plastic items, bolted through with a thin backing plate. Cover or pad as desired.

Boomerweps

• Members

I was curious as to the rubber bottomed ones that are used at entrances that were mentioned as available at Home Depot. I found them there for $16.98. After looking around for a bit I found a bunch of area rugs which were nothing more than 8x6 pieces of carpet like material. They we priced as $16.88. Since I needed exactly 8x6, I went with one that had some ribs in the direction that would fight against any creeping. When I checked out, it rang up as only $7.48. I'll give it a workout this Saturday.

• Members

...I went with one that had some ribs in the direction that would fight against any creeping. When I checked out, it rang up as only $7.48. I'll give it a workout this Saturday.

That's the very type I'm using, except mine is smaller. Works like a champ!

:thu:

Archived