Coated Head .vs. Clear Head

jacoe99

• Members

I have a clear emperor head on my 16" floor tom and a coated emperor on my 13" tom. The 13" with the coated sounds good and seems to focus itself without much ring with no muffling required. The clear on the floor tom however, sounds terrible. Would buying a coated Emperor head for the batter side and put the clear Emperor on the resonant side make it good?

• Members

The coating on the heads cuts down on the overtones a little bit. I like to think of a coated emperor as more open than a pinstripe, but more subdued than a clear emperor.

I just switched from clears to coated, and I like 'em. I'll probably go back to clears at some point, but these sound pretty good. I have ambassadors on the bottom.

IMHO, it's usually best to have similar heads on all your toms. Just makes things more consistent. The only exception would be if you intentionally wanted differences between the drums. For example, for a while I was considering putting ambassadors on my higher toms, and emperors on the lower ones in order to "open up" the higher toms more.

The kit at my rehearsals space has a single ply aquarian on the high tom, a super muffled almost "hydralic" head on the middle tom, and a black dot head on the floor tom. The kit sounds terrible when you play riffs on multiple toms.

• Members

I have a clear emperor head on my 16" floor tom and a coated emperor on my 13" tom. The 13" with the coated sounds good and seems to focus itself without much ring with no muffling required. The clear on the floor tom however, sounds terrible. Would buying a coated Emperor head for the batter side and put the clear Emperor on the resonant side make it good?

Try it. Sometimes you have to experiment with different head combinations to get the sound you're after. Good luck:thu:

• Members

I used coated Emperors on all batter sides, but I used all clear ambassadors on the resonance side. The emperors took the pounding while the ambassadors rang the tone. Emperors on the bottoms tend to darken and mute the sound a little. I like the more lively ambassadors...personal preference...

• Members

I always use clear ambassadors on the reso side and clear emperors on the bater side. Reason one is the sound I get. I'm able to tune low which is how I like it and I don't like the look of anything coated on toms. I play Tama Starclassic Maple and DW maple kits. All alternative rock and such.

• Members

I always use clear ambassadors on the reso side and clear emperors on the bater side. Reason one is the sound I get. I'm able to tune low which is how I like it and I don't like the look of anything coated on toms. I play Tama Starclassic Maple and DW maple kits. All alternative rock and such.

How can you tune a floor tom low with the clear head? It makes such a bad noise...I like it low but it just soudns horrible, its probably my drums tho

• Members

What do you play? The better the drum the easier it is to tune. There are a lot of factors that come into how low a drum can be tuned with a specific head combination. Wood, depth, diameter, thickness of shell, quality of wood etc

• Members

Well that might be why. I just really do not like the soudn of coated emperors or ambassadors unless it's for a snare. Then they sound great. They just don't do what I want for toms. IME. Your mileage may vary but once you move up to a nicer quality kit you'll see a bbig difference!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

ANother thing that souds great is Evans new ec2's. The ec1's are great too but they are so easy to tune and sound great. I did a recording last week and the drums sounded phenominal. Great fat tom sounds w/ the 2's and clr ambassadors on the reso side. Different things work for different people. There are so many variables, remember that.

• Members

One thing I've learned is that if you put for example a clear ambassador on the reso side of a floor tom and use a clr emperor of in this case the new evans ec2 head they alsdo sound great. It took me a ong time to realise the reso heads must be tuned higher than I ever thought to relaly ring. PEOPLE DRUMS ARE SUPPOSED TO RING! It's calleds resonance. Without resonance it sounds like abox. Stop trying to mute your drums. That's what gates are for

• Members

PEOPLE DRUMS ARE SUPPOSED TO RING! It's calleds resonance. Without resonance it sounds like abox. Stop trying to mute your drums. That's what gates are for

Resonance is meant to sound good, a sustained note is resonance in my book, not annoying overtones. you don't have iss mounts on your drums to produce a {censored}ty ringing sound.

Personally, I like to tune my drums then add floating studio rings for control. This isn't 'muting'. It all comes down to personal preference. I hate it when people say that you shouldn't use muffling on drums. It's all about getting a sound that's pleasing to your own ear. elitist tuning nazis can {censored} off, in my opinion.

• Members

While lots of ring is ok for rock music and a mic'd kit, for those of us playing completely unmic'd and in very small rooms (normal playing with sticks is almost always too loud) the setup must be different. Also I notice that ringing must be limited in the studio, gates can only go so far before they become noticable.

• Members

GOOD gates go very far. If you use cheap behringer and dbx gates yiou're gonna get cheap results. Live I have bss 504's on my toms ALL the time. bss 404 comps on kick and snare. And as long as the kit is tuned right it sounds great. One thing I notice is people saying you have to hear the kit from a distance if it's a small room. What? I've never (and I work stages both large and small as a monitor engineer/tech for a living) seen any professional drummer get up and listen to his kit somwhere othwer than the throne. If it sounds good you just know it. When a kit sounds good you're very comfortable playing the kit. A kit that is out of tune is VERY distracting and uncomfortable. As far as muting/dampening a tom or any drum for that matter, as soon as the band comes in nobody hears a lot of resonance. Not even the drummer. Those overtones and such get drowned out but are so inmportant if you ask me. Your mileage may vary and I respect that. I guess it does sound like my way is the only way. Although, lLive and onstage a lot of the same methods are used. Very few things differ from one to the other IME. Everybody chooses to skin a cat however they please. Cheers and have a nice day :)

Archived