I need help finding the right ride cymbal

Funkdapus

• Members

I thought I would consult the wealth of information that is the drum forum for some direction in helping me find the right ride cymbal. I have a 20" B8 now (and it sucks) and I want to upgrade to something with way more stick definition and way less wash. I have looked at dry rides but they seem too jazzy for me and what I like to play (rock and funk mostly). I like the ping, but they seem a bit too pingy. I plan on going to Guitar Center to try some more rides out, but its a helluva drive and still need a direction. My price range puts me at the Sabian AA level, but I always cruise ebay for Zildjian Ks. Thanks for any feedback!!!

• Members

Choosing a ride cymbal is probably THE time when you really have to try different ones. I chose a 20" Paiste signature dry heavy ride because I needed far more stick definition than I had in my earlier rides. Clear bell that cuts through, plenty of stick definition across the bow and it has noticable changes (to me) across the bow depending on where I hit it.

Boomerweps

• Members

I thought I would consult the wealth of information that is the drum forum for some direction in helping me find the right ride cymbal. I have a 20" B8 now (and it sucks) and I want to upgrade to something with way more stick definition and way less wash. I have looked at dry rides but they seem too jazzy for me and what I like to play (rock and funk mostly). I like the ping, but they seem a bit too pingy. I plan on going to Guitar Center to try some more rides out, but its a helluva drive and still need a direction. My price range puts me at the Sabian AA level, but I always cruise ebay for Zildjian Ks. Thanks for any feedback!!!

20" or 22" K Custom Ride....A thinner cymbal with less overtones. The K Custom will cut through for Rock or Funk. Since they are thinner than "Ping" cymbals, they will give you a little wash but not too much.

You may want to check out K Heavy rides. A little more ping, but darker overtones with controllable wash.

The good 'ol Zildjian A Medium Ride is a great overall cymbal and will do what you are describing.

The kind of stick you use (nylon or wood tip) makes a big difference how a ride cymbal can sound, so make sure when you go to GC, you use a stick you normally would play.

Good luck! Finding the ever-perfect ride cymbal is fun...but its ever on-going!

Oh, www.zildjian.com has sound samples of all their stuff.

• Members

20" or 22" K Custom Ride....A thinner cymbal with less overtones. The K Custom will cut through for Rock or Funk. Since they are thinner than "Ping" cymbals, they will give you a little wash but not too much.

You may want to check out K Heavy rides. A little more ping, but darker overtones with controllable wash.

The good 'ol Zildjian A Medium Ride is a great overall cymbal and will do what you are describing.

The kind of stick you use (nylon or wood tip) makes a big difference how a ride cymbal can sound, so make sure when you go to GC, you use a stick you normally would play.

Good luck! Finding the ever-perfect ride cymbal is fun...but its ever on-going!

Oh,
www.zildjian.com
has sound samples of all their stuff.

Precisely, listen to heem. As soon as you say: "less overtone but too jazzy" I'm thinking K custom.

The 20" A medium is the perfect cymbal. I have many rides but that one is just right in so many ways. Some people may find it too generic but okay so, I guess so. But that also means : versatile! and the bell is just so nice. mine is over 30 years old and just keeps on sounding better. so go to the ebay and try to find an old seasoned broken in one.

• Members

when you talk about a ride being "too pingy," you've gotta keep in mind that, in a rock situation, a lot of ping is neccesary to carry through the rest of the band. It may sound too pingy all alone, but with a couple of guitars and bass, all turned up to 11, the cymbal would probably be fine

• Members

If I'm going to spend a good chunka change on a ride, I'm going to hear it up close and personal ... I'll also listen to it at a distance - have someone else playing it.

(I some years ago, I picked my Paiste 2002 ride out of six of the same model cymbals ... each one had a different character)

$.02

• Members

Thanks to everyone for their input. It definitely helped me out. Big thanks to Walt Disney for the link to the Paiste 505 (which I purchased)! I know I couldn't sample it first, but for the price it was hard to pass up a cast Paiste ride!! Hopefully it will be all the ride I ever wanted and more, but my I am pretty sure that my quest for the right ride will continue indefinitely. Thanks again everybody!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
If I'm going to spend a good chunka change on a ride, I'm going to
hear
it up close and personal ... I'll also listen to it at a distance - have someone else playing it.

(I some years ago, I picked my Paiste 2002 ride out of six of the same model cymbals ... each one had a different character)

$.02

how much for a 2002 used

• Members

I've played and owned AA's and I liked it. I currently play a K ride which I adore. One ride cymbal that I had and really miss was my Sabian AA "El Sabor" ride. If you can find one out there, check it out. It had all of the qualities you mentioned and shouldn't be that expensive.

• Members

If your not looking to spend that much, I'd advise getting a 20" Sabian XS20 Rock Ride. I know some people will think otherwise, but it truely is an awesome ride for rock applications. I mainly use this ride because my guitarist dosen't really care for my 21" Sabian HHX Groove Ride (Which I love, but it is washy)

I'd also check out a 20"-22" Zildjian A Medium Ride. I have a 20" myself and absolutely love it. Also amazing for rock settings.

Archived