How does one take advantage of media attention?

kingsaw

• Members

Originally posted by kingsaw

How can one as a solo artist take advantage of media attention? What could one do to help themselves if they are getting attention from magazines and newspapers? Thank you.

Use it to hire an agent or to approach record companies. Certainly use it to get some higher profile gigs (like concert openings). Positive reviews (called 'impact statements') have worked well for me. I sent a couple of CDs to national magzines and got some good feedback in print, which have been valuable selling points that are still paying off. Make sure you feature them prominently in your promo pack-not necessarily the whole article, just selected quotes with the source.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Use it to hire an agent or to approach record companies. Certainly use it to get some higher profile gigs (like concert openings). Positive reviews (called 'impact statements') have worked well for me. I sent a couple of CDs to national magzines and got some good feedback in print, which have been valuable selling points that are still paying off. Make sure you feature them prominently in your promo pack-not necessarily the whole article, just selected quotes with the source.

Take said articles, compile them, copy them, and combine it was a demo CD or so, and send them to Gibson or Fender requesting $36K over 3 years, plus gear for an endorsement.

Smaller companies will often give you free gear as well in exchange for endorsement.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Thank you. How exactly would one go about finding an agent?

• Members

Originally posted by TanisGR

Take said articles, compile them, copy them, and combine it was a demo CD or so, and send them to Gibson or Fender requesting $36K over 3 years, plus gear for an endorsement.

Smaller companies will often give you free gear as well in exchange for endorsement.

Are you serious about the endorsement? Do you have a link with more information?

• Members

Originally posted by kingsaw

Are you serious about the endorsement? Do you have a link with more information?

Endorsements aren't likely to happen, at least paid ones, unless you are a big name performer. You might get a discount on their gear. Remember, endorsements are promo for the company. It doesn't do them any good to get endorsements from no-name performers.

(BTW, there is a lot of confusion about this. The main thing is, keep in mind you are endorsing their product in exchange for consideration. They are not endorsing you. Therefore, the amount of consideration you get, if any, is dependent on your promo value to the company you endorse.)

Archived