Alesis DM5 kit questions

valdiorn

• Members

I'm really interested in getting an electronic kit for practicing. I'll be moving in a couple of months, and I can't have an acoustic where I'm going. Also, I'd like to use the kit for recording (with a program such as BFD).

(the kit in question is NOT the DM5 Pro Kit, but the cheaper one)

A couple of questions about the Alesis kit and the DM5 module regarding dual zone triggers:

1. Does the DM5 support dual zone triggers without using a Y-splitter cable? Can I directly connect a dual zone trigger and immediately have use for both tigger areas and map them to different notes (like a snare and the rim)?

2. Is the snare pad on the Alesis kit dual-zone? does it have a rim trigger? how about the cymbals?

3. does the Alesis Trigger|iO have any features that the DM5 doesn't?

Is there another setup I should consider for a sub-$800 kit? (I will be adding another pad and two cymbals to the DM5 kit if I decide to buy that)

• Members

Ok, just to confirm that I understood you right: I could (theoretically) connect 12 dual zone pads, assign each zone it's own midi note, and eventually be able to play 24 different notes/samples? (I know the DM5 has a max poly of 16, though... :)) ... Or am I misunderstanding something?

• Members

No, that is not correct.....the Alesis DM5 is single/mono input only!! You can only use a single zone pad per input! In regard to the Alesis I/O it will have some dual zone inputs, but it is not a module, it generates no sound, it is strictly a trigger to midi device. If you have any questions about electronic kits, feel free to email me. Brian@hopedrums.com Pintech Rep

Archived