Module

richiejazz

• Members

I'm wanting to get a drum module for use with an acoustic kit with a couple of triggers and a couple of trigger pedals. I use an spds to trigger the snare with my own samples - but as this only has one trigger input I want a simple module to trigger electric bass drums and have the option to plug in a couple of extra single pads later on.

I was looking at an Alesis Dm5 (12 inputs), but is it still worth it for the sounds, its very old - older sounds are stilll used a lot it seems and for sounds like the simmon patches on it, it could be unique enough to be worth it, maybe??. Do newer modules have the more nostalgic sounds, or do they focus on trying to be as realistic and modern as possible? I really dont need anything hi tech like the upper range vdrum modules (and certainly cant offered them!) I like the price range of the DM5: 100-180 pounds. Any other modules around this price? Only other 'cheap' modules I can find are second hand td3s or a td 6, but ive heard complaints about these also....any ideas anyone??

• Members

If you're looking into the DM5, look at the DM5KIT. It's a full electronic drum kit that comes with the DM5 and all cables to hook everything up, rack, pads, etc... if I remember right there's 5 pads and 2 cymbals... and it's only $150 more than the DM5 itself. You could probably sell the kit without the DM5 for more than $150 and make your money back.

• Members

the spds can trigger 4 things. they have one hihat and bass channel. Then a stereo insert, so splitting that makes 2 triggers.

I would just get the roland midi converter and hook it to your spds. It runs arround $200 us. It just changes I think 6 inputs to midi. So it would just expand your spds channels. It's called the Roland tmc 6 or something like that. They might have a newer version by now.

• Members

Ah now Ive been wondering about these trigger to midi converters - Ive never used/tried the midi capabilitlies on my sampler - what exactly do they do??? If the converter had say 6 inputs, does that mean I could potentially have 6 separate extra pads running through my SPDS??

• Members

Yes, that would give you 6 new trigger inputs.

Another cheap way of doing it is to buy an old e-drum brain just for the inputs, then trigger them via midi through the spds. so you wouldn't be using the brains sounds. just using it to send a midi signal to trigger the spds.

• Members

Ok, and that would be to save cost on buying a new Roland Tmc6 or equivalent..? Cool cheers

Just to be clear - I presume if you were running the extra 6 or so trigger inputs through the converter and into the SPDS via midi you could use them all at once along side each other? i.e. you could have an electric kit setup and have all the pads running through the converter into the SPDS, using the SPDS as the 'brain'???

• Members

Yeah thats right. You just set the spds to trigger sounds on the corresponding midi channels. So with the converter that would be six different channels. So yes the spds would be the brain. Some people use the spds to trigger their whole e-kit because of the sampling on it.

There used to be a spds user forum somewhere and they had some good info on how to set it up. Other wise you should easily find some info on how triggering midi works.

• Members

thanks a lot puck, much appreciated.

My next question then is has anyone got recommendations for a trigger/midi converter unit? Obviously theres the roland tmc6, but ive seen an alesis model which seems alright but a little cheaper. Any preferences on model?

• Members

I use the Roland one and I've had two of them -- on the first one the knob that switches between settings on the top broke off, and on this one it's loose (it's almost like a volume pot now, not a detented knob). It still works fine, you'll have to play with the MIDI commands a lot at first if you're not used to using it.

Another option is something like a used Alesis D4 which seems to go for $150-$200 on eBay.

Archived