DIY Practice pads?

mparsons

• Members

I'm a cheap bastard ( as I'm sure you all know ), and I am going to college soon. I would like to get a couple practice pads to simulate a kit so I can practice ( one for bass, one for snare ).

Unfortunately, it's like $75+shipping to get these items new, and that's a lot for a college student to spend...

How would you make these items yourself? For the snare, I'd guess a couple mousepads nailed to a wooden board wood be fine. The bass, the same would work, but how would you make the base, where the pedal hooks on? ( no pun intended )

Thanks for the advice

• Members

Well, I put a little bit of thought into this, and came up with the following blueprint:

pedalything.jpg

1) Your pedal.

2) Wood. The dunno the exact size, but you get the point.

3) Metal bracing that you can buy for shelves.

4) More wood. Just thick enough to allow your pedal to clip on.

5) Velcrow. To keep it all in place.

Now this isnt a proven thing. Just an idea. May work, may not work.

I forgot to draw in the picture the pad for the beater. I guess a few mouse pads like you said might work.

• Members

I've done something similar to that. It's great. Cost me $2 for the mouse pad that I layered up.

Not a bad little rig eh?

I'd say making something along those lines is prolly your best bet. Just use some scrap wood you may have layin around, or go to the dumpsters of Home Depot or Lowes, and scavange some salvageable pieces of wood. It'll cost you next to nothing.

• Members

Check your local phone book for a rubber vendor , chances are there will be scrap rubber in many sizes you can buy for next to nothing or get for free. You can glue this to the wood w/ fancy glue. Also the rubber will be sandable if you have access to a belt sander you can shape the wood/rubber pad in one clean strokeand have nice clean lines and bevels. Watch out for pad material that is too hard as it will feel bad on your hands and arms.

• Members

With an HD147, you can't be too cheap of a bastard

unless that's the reason you are cheap now
:p

Well, I got all the good guitar gear a year or two ago, back when I didn't have college to worry about.

Thanks for the advice again everyone. I'll post some pics when everythings finish.

• Members

Well, I got all the good guitar gear a year or two ago, back when I didn't have college to worry about.

Thanks for the advice again everyone. I'll post some pics when everythings finish.

I have an HD147 as well, but that {censored} has given me nothing but problems. I had it in my possession for about 3 months for the first year that I owned it. Every digital problem that could occur did occur. Can't wait to sell it to get a tube head. Or maybe more drum stuff. :idea:

Archived