Seating Heads

qwertyMan

• Members

Hey, I was looking along the Evan's web site (after deciding that I'm going to re-head my drums to G2's over G1's... good choice?) and I was reading their tuning tips.

It said....

Rather than over-tensioning the head to force it to break in, the best tuning method is tobring the drumhead up to your desired pitch, or slightly higher, play on it for a while to let it break in naturally, then fine-tune it again.

Now, I always thought you had to tune the head high and press on it 'till the crackles stop, and then bring it to finger tension and tune again. Is the site right? Are there any down sides to seating the heads the way the Evan's site says I should?

What are your opinions on this?

• Members

Well, I've always heard that also, tighten them till their nuts pop, push down w/ palms while kneeling on the floor, (not FULL body weight). Bring 'em back down and tighten to finger tight and then start the tuning process.

Last time I put on new heads(EC2's)I got lazy, torqued 'em up a bit, brought 'em back down and tuned. They went out of tune in a week or so-bad. I then started all over and did what your supposed to do, and they've been holding their tune extremely well, w/ only minor adjustments just before I start to play. Marko:D

• Members

Not long ago, I dressed all my toms with the EC2's....didn't require the 'seating' process....and have about the widest tuning range I've experienced. :thu:.........I haven't had the need to actually 're-tune' them, UNLESS, I felt the need to, due to the venue/room.

Archived