How do I build kick-foot independence?

Steve Howe

• Members

Do you have any drum books? One example is to play "snare" parts but do them with the kick. The Chapin Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer recommends this. Practice a one measure 4/4 kick pattern that you like and gradually add in other limbs one at a time (in any order and mix it up). eg. add the hat on 2 and 4 (or all 4 beats, or 8ths, or off beats or clave), then the ride on 8ths (or qtrs., or off beats) , then the snare on 2 & 4 (or all

4, "and" of 2 then 4, on 2 then "and" of 4) etc.

Mix up all these patterns. Repeat with a different kick pattern. Good luck!

• Members

Just read this one the other day and I've already forgotten where, so apologies to whoever it was wrote/posted/whatever it...

Get one limb going nice and steady - steady tempo (just counting "1-2-3-4"), even dynamics. Bring in each of the other limbs, keeping the balance, not too fast, not too loud. No flamming allowed :). Right, all four limbs locked in time and all playing evenly? Good. Next, accent the "1" of each bar on for 16 bars, on one of the limbs. Then move on to the next limb. Only the accenting limb should stand out -- everything else should be as before.

Righty, that was the easy bit (and I gave up after getting around all four limbs twice, exhausted!). Now you start moving the accent through the bar. Then you delay the accent to fall between the singles. And so on!

I think it was probably Modern Drummer I stole this from...

• Members

There's a very elementary book that I use for set drumming. It's called "How to Play RockNRoll Drums by Palmer Hughes. It adds on limb at a time and build independence. But if you've never played at all, and you really want to learn correctly, you have to start off by learning grips, movements and techniques. I've used the Roy Burns Method and the Haskell Harr Method for years. They give you the basics to build on...

• Members

If you don't have a drum book, here's a place to start.

Learn these exercises with your feet individually, then try to play them in sequence while playing quarter notes on the ride and 2 and 4 on the snare. Start using your metronome at a slow tempo 50-60 = 1/4 note.

1. RLRL RLRL

2. LRLR LRLR

3. RRLL RRLL

4. LLRR LLRR

5. RLRR LRLL

6. RLLR LRRL

7. RRLR LLRL

8. RLRL LRLR

9. RRRL RRRL

10. LLLR LLLR

11. LRRR LRRR

12. RLLL RLLL

13. RRRR LLLL

• Members

If you don't have a drum book, here's a place to start.

Learn these exercises with your feet individually, then try to play them in sequence while playing quarter notes on the ride and 2 and 4 on the snare. Start using your metronome at a slow tempo 50-60 = 1/4 note.

1. RLRL RLRL

2. LRLR LRLR

3. RRLL RRLL

4. LLRR LLRR

5. RLRR LRLL

6. RLLR LRRL

7. RRLR LLRL

8. RLRL LRLR

9. RRRL RRRL

10. LLLR LLLR

11. LRRR LRRR

12. RLLL RLLL

13. RRRR LLLL

Thanks for this!

Do you guys have any pictures or videos on how to properly hold the sticks and kick-foot technique?

Archived