Opinions Appreciated-Live Recorded Band Demo

wheresgrant3

• Members

A few months back I posted some poor quality live clips my cover band was trying to fashion as a Press Kit demo. People were pretty critical of the last demo (quality of the recording, not performances) so I took some helpful advice and we hired a guy with a mobile recording rig to record a gig. He gave us the 'raw' tracks and we went to task at pulling out flawed performances (flat notes, messed lyrics, noisy guitar etc) and I dressed them up "post-op" using Sonar.

What we are left with are 10 clips that show a variety and range of what we play. I'd like to narrow this down further and remove clips that aren't up to par. I've heard that 5-30 second clips is the "standard" for a band demo. How many clips should we include? How long should they be? Do some tracks stand out better than others?

Warning... this is pretty long... about 10 songs 9 mins long.

Demo

• Members

I listened to the whole thing...on the whole I thought everything sounded very good...sounds like you guys have a lot of energy. If your trying to shorten it I would say make 2 versions...One with more contemporary songs...and then another with the 80's stuff...on the whole you guys sound good!

Cheers

• Members

Sounds good...but a bit overkill. Definitely narrow it down to at least 5 clips. I'd lose "Rollercoaster"...there are better songs on there.. I'd also lose "Head Like a Hole"...don't know how many people will like hearing that f-bomb...know what I mean? Just not professional.

Purple Rain doesn't really showcase the band, but it does demonstrate your crowd participation...which is a good thing.

Adam Ant...nice...never heard a band play that song around here. Good choice of 80's songs altogether really...

Lose the guitar solo track. Just use the 1st DMB song. (The beginning of 'Too Much')

My 2 cents.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by murphmusik

Sounds good...but a bit overkill. Definitely narrow it down to at least 5 clips. I'd lose "Rollercoaster"...there are better songs on there.. I'd also lose "Head Like a Hole"...don't know how many people will like hearing that f-bomb...know what I mean? Just not professional.

Purple Rain doesn't really showcase the band, but it does demonstrate your crowd participation...which is a good thing.

Adam Ant...nice...never heard a band play that song around here. Good choice of 80's songs altogether really...

Lose the guitar solo track. Just use the 1st DMB song. (The beginning of 'Too Much')

My 2 cents.

:D

Your 2 cents are greatly appreciated. It's an outside opinion that I am looking for. Thanks for your suggestions

Archived