Yeah, I smoke...

mammynun

• Members

... and I see a LOT of ebay adds that that push "a non-smoking studio" as a plus. While I agree that smoking is "bad" for me, how bad is it for drums? And not just drums; did Sinatra have to go smoke free before he sang into that U-47? Maybe the crud that attacks my lungs "mellows" resononce of things musical? Think of all the the "old skool" greats... I see a cig in their hand.... Not saying you should start smoking to get "that tone," but if you do, how bad is it for "ACOUSTIC" instruments?

• Members

... and I see a LOT of ebay adds that that push "a non-smoking studio" as a plus. While I agree that smoking is "bad" for me, how bad is it for drums? And not just drums; did Sinatra have to go smoke free before he sang into that U-47? Maybe the crud that attacks my lungs "mellows" resononce of things musical? Think of all the the "old skool" greats... I see a cig in their hand.... Not saying you should start smoking to get "that tone," but if you do, how bad is it for "ACOUSTIC" instruments?

Naw, it's just the crud that gets in and on the gear. Plus the stale air some times smells like a wet dog. I smoked aince I was 14 so don't think I'm on some kind of soapbox. I just used to have to clean my kit every night at the clubs because of the grime...

• Members

If we're talking about used gear advertised as not from a smoking enviroment then I'd just imagine it's a smell issue.

If you're a non-smoker than it's really obvious when somethings been in a smoking enviroment and it's generally not a very pleasent smell but I can't imagine someone smoking adversly affecting a drums tone unless they had the ciggerette really close to the drum and the heat warped it or something? :confused:

• Members

The bearing edges on drums are unfinished, and unfinished wood will absorb the tar from the smoke that is in the environment. It will cause the wood to turn a yellow color and make it slightly less rigid over time.

I used to work as an electrician's journeyman, and the worst jobs were modernizing the wiring on a pre-20s house. Most people that lived in those houses were smokers, and the plaster and wood had time to absorb the tar, and it would turn into a tacky mess if you were lucky, and in spots where smokers regularly did their thing, there were times when we would tear into a ceiling and have smoke tar embedded into the untreated wood that formed the frame of the house. We called it ecto-plasm.

• Members

In addition to the above:

Cigarette smoke can damage electronics over time, and can gum up the diaphragms of mics very badly. Such items are often trumpeted as "smoke free," and I wonder if other music gear gets the same tag more due to ignorance than any actual value in keeping smoke away from, say a cymbal. A smokey guitar case can be pretty disgusting until it airs out.

• Members

The bearing edges on drums are unfinished, and unfinished wood will absorb the tar from the smoke that is in the environment. It will cause the wood to turn a yellow color and make it slightly less rigid over time.

But that's my point... Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, etc. smoked, and we are all looking for "that sound." OK, Vistalite bearing edges probably don't change much, but Bonham still smoked. And it's not just drums... think about guitars.... "pre-war" Martins are analogous to early Ludwigs.

I'll quit smoking one day (maybe), but it occurred to me that most of the gear we lust for was probably heavily smoked upon at some point. Maybe I'm just bent by the Nannyfication of the USofA? :cool:

• Members

[quote=mammynun;23600514 Maybe I'm just bent by the Nannyfication of the USofA? :cool:

Nannyfication? Sorry, but are you f@#king kidding me? Smoking is nasty, plain and simple. Smokers are so numb and desensitized by smoking over however many years that most of them don't even have a clue how bad they stink and how bad they're f@#king up their bodies by smoking. This is above and beyond any little harm smoke may do to a mic or a drum's bearing edge.

If I owned a studio, my last concern would be the equipment. My concern would be that I don't want people walking into a place with yellowed walls that smelled like $hit and thinking "I paid for this??"

Sorry man, I have no sympathy. I lost a father-in-law to lung cancer and have a brother who smokes 2 packs a day but can't see that the weezing and hacking and loss of breath is caused by his smoking.

Get over yourself, and respect people's right to exclude smokers from ruining their stuff, whether it be a vintager mic or a $300 lazy boy.

• Members

I just watched Straight no Chaser and noticed Monk resting his lit cigarette on one of the lower piano keys , I then noticed an assortment of small yellow burn stains on the lower keys. Ironically I'd bet they'd make the piano more valuable being they were Monk's burn marks.....just thought I'd toss it in the mix.... But I would have to throw a chair at someone if they tried it on my piano.

• Members

Nannyfication? Sorry, but are you f@#king kidding me? Smoking is nasty, plain and simple. Smokers are so numb and desensitized by smoking over however many years that most of them don't even have a clue how bad they stink and how bad they're f@#king up their bodies by smoking. This is above and beyond any little harm smoke may do to a mic or a drum's bearing edge.

If I owned a studio, my last concern would be the equipment. My concern would be that I don't want people walking into a place with yellowed walls that smelled like $hit and thinking "I paid for this??"

Sorry man, I have no sympathy. I lost a father-in-law to lung cancer and have a brother who smokes 2 packs a day but can't see that the weezing and hacking and loss of breath is caused by his smoking.

Get over yourself, and respect people's right to exclude smokers from ruining their stuff, whether it be a vintager mic or a $300 lazy boy.

My mistake... I should have said Nazifacation.

• Members

Nannyfication? Sorry, but are you f@#king kidding me? Smoking is nasty, plain and simple... Get over yourself, and respect people's right to exclude smokers from ruining their stuff, whether it be a vintager mic or a $300 lazy boy.

chill out gramps, he wasn't trying to attack non-smokers, he was just standing up for his right to smoke, and the governments intentions of revoking those rights... am i right?

• Members

chill out gramps, he wasn't trying to attack non-smokers, he was just standing up for his right to smoke, and the governments intentions of revoking those rights... am i right?

Sorry man, I'm 30 years old!!

He has every right to smoke, absolutely! It seemed as though his complaint was towards the private studio owners that advertise as a "non-smoking studio." The key word there is "private" and has no relation to the goverment's intentions to revoke his rights to smoke. These are private studio owners...they have their rights to refuse smokers,

In response to the authors post about "Nazification"....that's fair enough. No argument here.

• Members

Along the same lines, never buy a camera from a coroner in the police auctions.

Smells like formaldehyde and death everything you hold it up to your face, although most coroners don't notice because everything they own ends up smelling that way.

• Members

Along the same lines, never buy a camera from a coroner in the police auctions.

Smells like formaldehyde and death everything you hold it up to your face, although most coroners don't notice because everything they own ends up smelling that way.

duly noted.

• Members

When one purchases a used car, that person might ask "have you smoked in that car?" It's no doubt everybody prefers a fresh-er room.

This reminds me when I was at an airport in Atlanta, Georgia (not that you neccessarily have to be there to see this) and they had a smoking room. That was the sickest... stuff I ever seen. It even looked like the some of the smokers didn't want to be in there.

By the way, I'm in no way judging smokers. Honestly, you smoking doesn't bother me at all.

• Members

I just watched Straight no Chaser and noticed Monk resting his lit cigarette on one of the lower piano keys , I then noticed an assortment of small yellow burn stains on the lower keys. Ironically I'd bet they'd make the piano more valuable being they were Monk's burn marks.....just thought I'd toss it in the mix.... But I would have to
throw a chair
at someone if they tried it on my piano.

At the least!

• Members

Three comments (or statements):

1. Ever watch "Antiques Roadshow" and one of the experts say how much more valuable (usual a painting) an item would be if it didn't have damage from years of exposure to cigarette smoke?

2. Five years ago I experienced a pulmonary embolism (blood clots coating my lungs) and one of the reasons I survived was due to the great condition of my non-smoker lungs (doctors assessment).

3. I'm old enough to be a gramps, but none yet. However, in my clubbing days, it used to amaze me how much smoke was still imbedded in my clothing that I'd worn out the night before. That's got to have some type of adverse effect to electronic components.

Now, time for my nap in the non-smoking section - Keep drumming everyone.

• Members

I quit smoking about 20 years ago. I never realized how bad my home, clothers, stuff and me smelled to others until I'd stopped.

I recently bought a used Tama SCP kit off craigslist. The kick had a muffle pillow inside it which made the whole kick smell like smoke, probably from playing clubs before the recent smoking ban (AZ). I washed the pillow and sprayed all the drums with Fabreze and they smell fine now :)

• Members

As I stated in the original post, I know that smoking is not good for me. I am well aware that some, OK, a majority, of people loath smokers. Fine.

I do NOT want to smoke in a "non-smoking" lay-Z-boy. I do not care to argue the origins of a patina from the antiques road show. I would throw a chair, too. Hartsfields "smoking rooms" ARE disgusting. I'm fully aware that my smoking is not doing my electronics any good. Some might argue that nicotine, not vibration, causes guitar strings to go "dead."

What I wanted to know... ahh, the hell with it. Substitute the ethnic/racial/gender slur for the word smoker...

yes, I'm aware that race, ethnicity and gender are not "choices." Have fun drumming, I think I'll just join Aqua.

• Members

I'm a smoker. I love it.

I smell ["sniff left... sniff right..."]... nice and fresh! :thu:

Don't worry about somebodys health for him. People will decide for themselves whatever they do. Yeah smoking inside the house is gross. Yeah dedicated smoke-rooms are gross. And smoke isn't good for electronics.

Smokers who don't want a smelly house, clothes, breath, car... whatever: They don't smoke inside the house or in their car or around their gear, kids... and brush.

You don't want your place to smell like {censored}, you use the toilet. Like that.

Personally, i smoke a pair with the coffee in the morning and a couple when i come home from work. I smoke a sigar with my wisky too. Me and my place smell minty fresh. :p

Here. Watch some Bill Hicks and chill out. Bill Hicks (contains little profanity)

• Members

mammynun,

No offense was meant because you smoke. Personally, for me being around smokers bothered my eyes (contact wearer) more than my ability to breathe. As I don't do the club thing anymore, it's not an issue for me.

What part of KY are you from? I grew-up in Hardin County (Fort Knox and Elizabethtown area) and played in my youth around Louisville and Lexington.

Archived