coated ambassadors

Darkest White

• Members

You might want to try an Evans coated G1 or an Aquarian Texture coated (I think that's what the aquarian's are called?). The Evans head will probably last longer, but their coating is different from remo's. It feels much less rough, and more smooth and fine. The Aquarian coating feels a lot more like Remo's, but lasts much longer.

It's your choice. If I were you, I might go with Aquarian, but then again evans is good too... I heard somewhere that with an evans head, if you tune it high for a while, and then decide you want to tune it down low again, it won't be able to do that very well. A Remo of Aquarian head will probably be able to tune low again just because of how the collar is.

• Members

are these heads durable? alot of people say the coating wears off really fast like in 2 weeks then it goes out of tune...?

Ambassadors are medium weight heads, so unless you mindlessly bash your drums with tree trunks, then you should be okay! I've never had the coating wear off at all.

• Members

Depends on whom you ask. Some drum forum denizens will tell you the coating wears off in 15 minutes; others say it lasts just fine.

In decades of using them, I've never had one wear prematurely, and neither I nor my son (who plays them, too) is a light hitter.

I've heard that round-tip sticks, nylon tips with nicks in them, and having your snare drum too low can prematurely wear a coating. Perhaps this explains the folks in the first category.

I'd love to use another head and/or brand to gain increased wear, but alas there's nothing that sounds quite like a coated ambassador.

I generally rehead snares every 6 months and toms once a year. No premature wear.

• Members

Well... I hit kind of hard... =(

In that case, I'd recommend the Remo Emperor line, instead. I use clear Emperors on all my toms and they gave me a focused, punchy, and resonating tom sound that I'm quite pleased with. :thu:

• Members

In that case, I'd recommend the Remo Emperor line, instead. I use clear Emperors on all my toms and they gave me a focused, punchy, and resonating tom sound that I'm quite pleased with.
:thu:

Thats funny, because when I was at a music store in Boston, they had a Pearl MCX set with clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors, and the drums sounded VERY plasticky to me.

• Members

Thats funny, because when I was at a music store in Boston, they had a Pearl MCX set with clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors, and the drums sounded VERY plasticky to me.

Hey, you know how it goes - it's not just the head... the drums, the tuning, all this can affect the sound.

Me, personally? "Plasticky?" My Yamaha Stage Customs disagree. :D;)

• Members

Evans G1 wear way faster and sound like crap compared to the old and proven ambassador. Aquarians sound different but not bad at all.

The coating on an ambassador is supposed to flatten out like that. It doesn't make any difference to the sound. The coating doesn't flake away from the mylar showing the naked head like an evans does, it just looses its sharp surface. CA's are, imo, by far the best coated single plies on the market still. And they've been producing them for ages.

• Members

Evans G1 wear way faster and sound like crap compared to the old and proven ambassador. Aquarians sound different but not bad at all.

The coating on an ambassador is supposed to flatten out like that. It doesn't make any difference to the sound. The coating doesn't flake away from the mylar showing the naked head like an evans does, it just looses its sharp surface. CA's are, imo, by far the best coated single plies on the market still. And they've been producing them for ages.

I have a coated G1 on my snare, and it has not flaked at all. My coated Emperors on the toms are flaking slightly, and I have had the head on my snare for about the same time as the heads on the toms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I`VE BEEN PLAYING DRUMS FOR ALMOST 2 DECADES, MY FAVORITES HEADS FOR SNARE ARE REMO AMBASSADOR COATED & CONTROL SOUND COATED (FOR A MORE FOCUSED SOUND WITH LESS RING)

AQUARIAN STUDIO X COATED ARE GREAT HEADS TOO! NOT ONLY ON SNARE BUT ALSO ON TOMS & FLOOR TOMS, THEY HAVE GREAT TONE!!!

I USED AMBASSADORS CLEAR AS RESONANTS HEADS WITH EVANS HYDRAULIC AS BATTERS ...THEY SOUND GREAT, KIND OF VINTAGE/FAT SOUND.

REGARDS!!! :wave:

MR DRUMS

• Members

Well for me, and I am heavy handed, The Evans G1's coated, on all my toms. except for my 8" rack for which I am using a coated Ambassador. G.C was out of G1 8"coated Evans ST on snare batter. I haven't seen any coating wear (premature) in all the years that I've been using these heads. Nice wide open sound. I don't dampen my toms except for a moongel or two in the studio per request of the studio tech.:D

• Members

I used to wear the coatings off after about a week and a half...playing 6 nights a week with 3 dance sets and 2 floor shows. The ambassadors have a great sound, but are week and pock easily for heavy hitters. I went to coated Emporers on top and ambassadors on the bottom for resonance. It makes a great combination and gives the beating strength you'll need if you do heavy workouts...:thu:

• Members

I just replaced a coated ambassador with an Evans ST Dry (coated). I was thinking about trying something new and right now, I am pleasantly satisfied with the switch. Remember, I have used coated ambassadors for years and sometimes trying different things really make a difference. I haven't completely went away from Remo though, I still use my weatherking clear pinstripes on the tomtoms.

ROCK ON!!!!

• Members

Hi,

I am using coated ambassadors on my Yamaha Absolutes. They tune up easy for me and they sound great tuned up a little higher than half way. reso head up a minor third. They seem to be taking a pretty good beating from me. I did have some Evans G2 batters and they too sounded nice, not as open or warm and the G2 on a 10" tom was a bit to thick IMO. I like to mix it up once in a while but alway's seem to go back to the coated ambassador.:blah:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

hmm well coated skins will surely wear out if you hit em hard. Etched heads such as the Weatherking Renaissance does wear out a little but they don't flake. It's sorta like clear skins getting cloudy.

Anyway about the drums getting out of tune, did you seat the drum heads when you first put 'em on? I ever tried a set that had skins that were...... well basically it looked like my father tuned it when he was 18. They weren't seated and it still detunes when i pressed it hard with my hands.

It could also be a problem with the lugs. The lugs on my 12" tom (and sometimes) my snare can just pop out during a gig. The tuning just suddenly goes haywire. At first I didn't know the reason why and I thought my ears must've been ringing too much. haha. I don't have good brands of lugs to recommend tho.. anybody?

cheers

• Members

I just replaced a coated ambassador with an Evans ST Dry (coated).

Gah, I tried that head on a recommendation from a friend and ugh, it was awful. Personally I hated the sound and went immediately back to my coated ambassador.

I've yet to find a head I liked better than the good ol' coated ambassador.

• Members

I'm thinking of making the switch to single ply heads. It's a toss up for me between the Coated Ambassador and the Evans J1 Etched. I'm a bit worried about the Remo. It seems like they have had some QC issues lately, and I don't want to get a faulty head, or something where the coating will flake off within a week.

*edit*

I'm also considering the Remo Renaissance head. (and decision is for the toms).

• Members

I'm thinking of making the switch to single ply heads. It's a toss up for me between the Coated Ambassador and the Evans J1 Etched. I'm a bit worried about the Remo. It seems like they have had some QC issues lately, and I don't want to get a faulty head, or something where the coating will flake off within a week.

REMO also makes an Ambassador-weight "Renaissance" head that is etched rather than coated. I haven't tried it, but it stands to reason that it would be the rough REMO equivalent to Evans J1.

• Members

REMO also makes an Ambassador-weight "Renaissance" head that is etched rather than coated. I haven't tried it, but it stands to reason that it would be the rough REMO equivalent to Evans J1.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

I think I'll be going with the Coated Ambassador after looking at the prices (:eek:). I figure, if the Coated Ambassador is too dark for me, I might try the Renaissance or Etched.

Archived