Band Logo On Front of Kick

Thunderbroom

• Members

Where can I get my band's logo printed on the front of my drummer's kick drum? I don't know the parts & pieces of a drum kit, so I'm not sure what that part's called...I'm a bassist. :D

I'm in the Chicago area and would love a local place; however, we'll order it from anywhere. We've got the logo in a vector format. We just need to get it printed.

Thanks!

-Jeff

• Members

Hey Thunderbroom,

Thanks for dropping in! Getting a logo onto a drum head can be a fun process, but the reality is the more you pay, the better it will look. Some companies will silk screen it on for like $60, but it will flake over time and cause trouble. I recently got my band's logo on my drum head. I went through www.drumart.com, where they offer your choice of Aquarian drum head and are really just stellar about everything. It cost about $120, but it was worth every penny!

Here's a live shot of it on my kit - please realize the photographer took a distorted picture on purpose - the actual logo image is razor sharp!

griff1.jpg

• Members

In the old days we use to paint them by hand. But since you have vector art, and since technologies have come of age, thera are also a couple ways to go. One way as Fitch mentioned is to silk screen, but that's a tedious process especially if there are a ton of colors. Another currently don pretty well is by plotting on clear substrates. This is done kinda like what you see on busses and Uhauls now a days as advertisements. That's a very specialized process to say the least. But might I suggest...find your self a local printer or high school for that matter, that has multicolor plotting capabailities. Sign shops have them as well. Most of these people have the ability to plat on many substrates and even cloth. Have them run you file on something called "clear crack and peel" or "scotchlite" or even clear decal film. What that is is a very thin type of plastic, like your head, that has a clear base (or white base should you prefer) but has an adhesive backing (the decal film has 2 types...one that is adhesive and one that is water soluable like the ones you use to use on model airplanes). Run the design onto the substrate, position it on your head, tape the far end down after it is positioned, and peel off the backing in small sections. It's going to be very sensitive so start from the center of the head out, and begin to squeegee it flat to the surface. You can seal the whole head with a thin film coating to make sure it doesn't crack or break after application.

Just another method to try...:thu:

• Members

I used vintagelogos.com vivid head for mine. They were great to work with, I sent them a photoshop picture of the design, they took it, cleaned it up a bit and the result was fantastic. I would recommend them to anyone. Drumart is another company I heard good things about.

• Members

Our logo is pretty simple:

yfc_logo_bw.jpg

We'd do an inverse of this with a hole cut out just below the "A" and "R" to mic it.

Thanks for the links! We'd rather spend the necessary cash to do it right the first time. I'll forward this info to my drummer.

Edit: After looking at that first site, I'm thinking this may be even cooler:

yfc_logo_chrome.jpg

• Members

Some companies also make removable logos that can be peeled off using static electricity -- I'd imagine this muffles the drum quite a bit, however...

Yea, your right Fitch. I had mine done at a local print shop for the Blues Band and I ended up taking the muffler ring out of the EMAD when I have it on. When I did it, it never dawned on me that it would have that effect. Oh well, still sounds good mic'd.

NewDrumKitPics7-11-07005.jpg

Archived